Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Three Man Weave- Big East Preview

Really good and complete rundown on each team.
    They pick Xavier 7th.

Here are the comments re: Steele-
    Opening Paragraph:
    “Outlook: Travis Steele fared better in his second season at the helm of the Musketeers but still failed to live up to preseason expectations. After being picked 3rd in the Big East preseason poll and 17th overall by KenPom, Xavier stumbled to an 8-10 conference record, finishing T-6th in the Big East and 45th in KenPom. Despite a good start to the year, there was no guarantee Xavier would even make the NCAA Tournament after losing three straight to end the season including an opening round conference tourney defeat to DePaul. With two subpar seasons under his belt, the pressure is on for Steele to start producing – Xavier fans are accustomed to seeing quality basketball.”

Closing Paragraph:
    . There’s still a low floor here, however, and Steele has yet to prove he can lead a team that’s greater than the sum of its individual parts.”

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/...t-2021-preview
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Junior
    Quite the glowing review of the roster for the team to be picked 7th. I'm guessing the author doesn't think much of Steele's coaching. I'm hoping the roster the last 2 years was such a mismatch that Steele's hands were tied. And with a roster he tailored he can show his acumen on the bench.

How many games did Paul Scruggs miss at the end of the season? Three?
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Quite the glowing review of the roster for the team to be picked 7th. I'm guessing the author doesn't think much of Steele's coaching. I'm hoping the roster the last 2 years was such a mismatch that Steele's hands were tied. And with a roster he tailored he can show his acumen on the bench.
    One thing that they are off on was that Adam Kunkle is not going for a waiver, right? Unless I missed something.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Junior
    I understood Kunkle planned to sit out. Stanley I fear could go pro if he doesn't get the waiver. I forsee many games we score in the mid 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Really good and complete rundown on each team.
    They pick Xavier 7th.

Here are the comments re: Steele-
    Opening Paragraph:
    “Outlook: Travis Steele fared better in his second season at the helm of the Musketeers but still failed to live up to preseason expectations. After being picked 3rd in the Big East preseason poll and 17th overall by KenPom, Xavier stumbled to an 8-10 conference record, finishing T-6th in the Big East and 45th in KenPom. Despite a good start to the year, there was no guarantee Xavier would even make the NCAA Tournament after losing three straight to end the season including an opening round conference tourney defeat to DePaul. With two subpar seasons under his belt, the pressure is on for Steele to start producing – Xavier fans are accustomed to seeing quality basketball.”

Closing Paragraph:
    . There’s still a low floor here, however, and Steele has yet to prove he can lead a team that’s greater than the sum of its individual parts.”

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/...t-2021-preview
    I would have to agree with the assessment of steele and last year's team, not with the 7th place this year.
    2023 Sweet 16

Not much to disagree with. Although I think WITH Stanley, we should finish between 3rd-6th.

Junior
    The Travis rebuild really starts this year. Unfortunately the guys he had last two years were pieces that did not fit well together. A whole lot of new guys, I can't imagine expecting much. I see another year of struggling and being on the bubble leading to next year being a make or break year for Steele.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    The Travis rebuild really starts this year. Unfortunately the guys he had last two years were pieces that did not fit well together. A whole lot of new guys, I can't imagine expecting much. I see another year of struggling and being on the bubble leading to next year being a make or break year for Steele.
    I totally agree with this. I will add that there is IMO a good chance that they will be a tough out in the tourney iF they make it. I look for this team to start slowly and improve as the year goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I totally agree with this. I will add that there is IMO a good chance that they will be a tough out in the tourney iF they make it. I look for this team to start slowly and improve as the year goes on.
    Like Providence last year? Gulp! They had a brutal start then put it all together at the end of the season.
    X is talented but very inexperienced. We shall see. You can't really disagree with the disappointment of the past 2 seasons.
    Now or never.