Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Game Thread: Xavier v Jacksonville University (11/10/2023)

VS.

CINCINNATI --- The Xavier University Musketeers, 1-0, host the Jacksonville University Dolphins, 1-0, on Friday night at 6:30 p.m. at Cintas Center. XU won its opener on Monday, 77-63, over Robert Morris.

Head Coach Sean Miller has 148 wins as the Xavier head coach. With a win over Jacksonville Miller would take over sole possession of third place on Xavier's all-time wins list, a spot he now shares with the late Skip Prosser.

THE MATCHUP

XAVIER UNIVERSITY MUSKETEERS (1-0, 0-0 BIG EAST)
    JACKSONVILLE UNIVERSITY DOLPHINS (1-0, 0-0 ATLANTIC SUN)
    FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 10, 2023 AT 6:30 P.M. ET
    AT CINTAS CENTER IN CINCINNATI, OHIO
    TV, RADIO & LIVE STATS

Television: FS2 with play by-play from Matt Schumacker and analysis from LaVall Jordan.
    Xavier Radio: 55KRC with play-by-play from Xavier Hall of Famer Joe Sunderman ('79) and analysis from XU all-time leading scorer and Hall of Famer Byron Larkin ('88). XU broadcast is also on the Varsity Network and on SXM.

Live Stats: Media stats at Statbroadcast.com and fan stats at GoXavier.com.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

XU 87 always told me that Jacksonville has really good recruits, so we should be concerned.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Jacksonville score 113 points and had 23 steals their first game, lol.

Not sure what division the school they played was from though.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by d-west & po-z View Post
    jacksonville score 113 points and had 23 steals their first game, lol.

Not sure what division the school they played was from though.
    dii

Jacksonville had 10 players that played 10 or more minutes. They averaged 63 PPG last year, so putting up 113 is kind of eye-opening. Without looking at this D2 opponent I'm assuming that they dont play some crazy uptempo style and dictated the pace while losing by 70.

Gotta assume some combination of a terrible opponent and that Jax is at least decent.

Jax ranked 319th last year in steals.....so 23 in one game is equal to 16% of their total from last year. They had 12 guys with at least one steal. Gotta be a record, right?

They were 8-30 from 3.....and scored 113. Shot 65% from 2, and had 25 FTA.

They had one 6'11 guy and one 6'9" guy, both freshmen (17pts / 16 rebs combined). Next biggest guy was 6'7", then 6'4".

Not sure if I think they are any good or not. Given the high shooting % inside the arc and high FT numbers, AND considering that the big scored only 17 out of 113 points, I gotta assume the wings and guards were just slashing to the basket relentlessly. But also, open court steals tend to lead to easy buckets....

Other weird stats from last year: They committed the 3rd fewest fouls last year, and were ALSO the least fouled team. Many of their rankings are in the 300+ range (out of 365 or so). How these guys finished 13-16 is a mystery to me.

Key points to pound these guys tonight: Utilize the size mismatch. Ball security.

Supporting Member
    Look smoother tonight… this team is going to be really good

Sophomore
    We are moving up the court fast.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Interesting lineup now

Guess this is a good time to find out tho

Swain is going to be special