Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NIT Moving to Hinkle for Next Season

Link

Hinkle Fieldhouse will host the 2024 National Invitational Tournament semifinals and championship, the Indianapolis-based NCAA announced Friday.
    The event will mark the return of postseason basketball to the historic Butler University venue, after it hosted 16 games during the 2021 NCAA men’s basketball tournament.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

INteresting. Somehow playing hard for a trip to Hinkle doesn't feel the same as "we didn't make the NCAA, but if we play hard and well we have a shot at playing in the Mecca of basketball in the middle of NYC for a championship".

Oh well. Now two of my most disliked teams have the two most "who really cares" events. The play in games and the NIT. Yay Dayton and Butler. You go!!
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Sophomore
    I imagine MSG no longer thought having a 12% filled arena for two nights made much sense. (It's actually worse than that because the schedule is semis-night off-finals, so assuming they don't break the court down, etc., then the schedule is 12%, 0%, 12% and that's probably not a good use of the World's Most Famous Arena.)

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Link

Hinkle Fieldhouse will host the 2024 National Invitational Tournament semifinals and championship, the Indianapolis-based NCAA announced Friday.
    The event will mark the return of postseason basketball to the historic Butler University venue, after it hosted 16 games during the 2021 NCAA men’s basketball tournament.
    If by next season you mean the 2024 season, then this is accurate.

But next season, as in the next season played, the 2023 NIT Championship will be played in Las Vegas.

Las Vegas has a lot more cache and seems more of a prize than playing in that dump called Hinkle Fieldhouse. Indy does a great job with such events and has long been known as the "amateur sports capitol of the world". But I don't see any redeeming qualities about Hinkle FH, and I have seen several games there in person.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Sophomore
    I think they should consider some outside-the-box, non-traditional thinking. It's essentially made-for-TV anyway - there are not big crowds for the semis and finals - so lean into that. Kind of inspired by the outside hockey games or the Field of Dreams game where the backdrop is interesting. People love that stuff. Like, off the top of my head, they've played basketball at Radio City Music Hall - maybe there? An outside court at night in Hawaii or somewhere in the south? Somewhere at Disney outside (ESPN: Cross-promotion!). I don't know, something to draw eyeballs, a better experience for the kids than going to Indiana.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    I imagine MSG no longer thought having a 12% filled arena for two nights made much sense. (It's actually worse than that because the schedule is semis-night off-finals, so assuming they don't break the court down, etc., then the schedule is 12%, 0%, 12% and that's probably not a good use of the World's Most Famous Arena.)
    Knicks played on the night in-between. MSG are masters at converting that arena. They often have day/night basketball then hockey games (or vice versa) on weekend dates.

Well the Bulldogs won’t have far to travel, will they?

I wonder how this might impact Indianapolis as a site for NCAA tournament games.

I know those games would likely be at the downtown arena, but are the dates different enough for the hotels to be able to handle it all? I'm guessing someone with more information than I have has thought of this.

I know everyone likes to brag on playing at MSG, but I'd hope Indy would be a cheaper destination to travel and stay in. Nicer for the families and fans who want to see their kids play. If you're mostly going to be in an arena watching sports, it doesn't matter that your hotel room costs double what it would in another city.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    I wonder how this might impact Indianapolis as a site for NCAA tournament games.

I know those games would likely be at the downtown arena, but are the dates different enough for the hotels to be able to handle it all? I'm guessing someone with more information than I have has thought of this.

I know everyone likes to brag on playing at MSG, but I'd hope Indy would be a cheaper destination to travel and stay in. Nicer for the families and fans who want to see their kids play. If you're mostly going to be in an arena watching sports, it doesn't matter that your hotel room costs double what it would in another city.
    It’s just the semifinals games and the final game that will be at Hinkle, and few fans actually attend those games anyway. Don’t think it will be any kind of burden on the hotels in Indy.

Only 3,500 in MSG for our win over A&M...but the TV made it look and sound like a full house.

(Also, lots of Muskie fans making noise!)
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.