Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Junior

Andy Katz 2021 NCAA Field of 68

Katz does not even consider X to be play in worthy. 2 of the play in teams are St Johns and UC. I know we're young, but I think we have a decent shot of making the field. A team with everyone on the same page, better shooting,lots of new talent, some veteran leadership. I think we have a good chance. What say the rest of you ?

Junior
    I wouldn't say we have a good chance. I guess 50/50 right on the bubble. Honestly just hope to see some sings of good coaching, better offense, etc. Need to find and see something in Coach Steele this year to get me believing he can take X places.

Just to many unknowns at this point and no real absolutes, can’t call it. There is really nothing you can point to and know for sure that X will be good in that area. I can absolutely see why few, of any, of the prognosticators are putting X in the field at this point. But as I’ve said in the past when X was highly rated, preseason rankings mean almost nothing. They will have 23 opportunities (at least) to prove their worth.

More than any other season over the past decade, this season might be the hardest for an X fan (at least for me) to be offended for not being included in someone’s preseason list of top teams. We lost two crucial players who were top scorers AND rebounders form a team that was only on the bubble for the NCAA tournament and we don’t have proven BE level players coming in to replace them.

That’s not to say the bigs coming back this year together with the incoming transfers can’t prove to be special as a group. We just don’t know what we’ve got yet until these guys play together against competition.

I’ll admit, I was having serious trouble seeing how our front court could possibly be as good as last year’s without our two best defensive stoppers. Let’s remember that Freemantle and Carter struggled quite a bit at times trying to guard opponents in the paint). I do see real potential though (with all of the extra bodies), but that’s all it is at this point. Let’s hope we get a few of the big fellas - whether it’s the transfers or those who didn’t play last year - stepping up big time this season.
    Last edited by IM4X; 09-30-2020 at 08:51 PM.

Supporting Member
    I don't know. Its easy to understand the above posts. There ARE a bunch of unknowns, And, even though it seems like there is a great deal of new talent (which we all are excited to see) it takes time for that talent to become a team---maybe most of the season.

Still, to use a cliché, basketball is a team game. Most of us who come to this board appreciate that. I'm interested in more than wins and losses. Quality of play is important to me. At times last year, I absolutely wanted to puke watching this team play. The horribly stupid shots launched by our P.G., Naji forcing up low percentage efforts, the lack of ball movement, etc.

I predict (and really, really hope) the returning players will jell quickly with the many new additions and we will see a better team effort. Watching the transfers try to integrate over the last couple of seasons, its clear that it takes time for newcomers to blend in, Still, I'll be disappointed in both the returnees and especially in Steele if we don't see better ball sharing, more discipline and a more spirited defensive effort (not that our defense really sucked last year) If this group plays as a team, without the selfishness and blockheadedness of last year, I will still be pretty interested. And, they may surprise us---I choose to believe they will.

If X is going to return to the elite ranks of the Big East, we should signs of it soon---newcomers not withstanding. In that sense, I view this season as critical. Not win or or place in the top three of the conference but surprise us with the type of play described above, win some clutch games (which maybe they weren't supposed to win) play strong opponents tough on the road, even it the result is an "L"----demonstrate their potential and restore enthusiasm to this fan base. But, if we see too much of the play we saw last year, that, I think, falls on Steele.
    Last edited by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever; 10-01-2020 at 07:42 AM.

C'mon now, we have 4 proven starters, and I would be shocked if any of the 4 digress this year stat wise. In fact, I'm thinking that all 4 make a considerable jump in numbers. This is Scruggy's team now and IMO he will be the best player on the floor most days....around 16/17 ppg with the added LOCK DOWN D ALWAYS. All we need is at least 3 of the other 8 to make significant contributions and we will be very competitive with a legitimate shot at 10 BE wins.

This is a good start.
    https://www.bannersontheparkway.com/...ier-basketball
    (They spelled his name wrong. )
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    I wouldn't say we have a good chance. I guess 50/50 right on the bubble. Honestly just hope to see some sings of good coaching, better offense, etc. Need to find and see something in Coach Steele this year to get me believing he can take X places.
    This thread is crazy. If you as a fan don't have expectations for the tournament this year, well, I just don't understand that. We have plenty coming back, and a great class coming in.

If they don't make the tournament again, Steele is without a doubt a huge question mark moving forward. It would be the worst 3 year run in the last 35-40 years.
    Last edited by drudy23; 10-05-2020 at 10:34 AM.

It's a good thing you didn't refer back to the 60's and 70's.
    The virus has taken its toll. Our Wikipedia page hasn't been updated with last season's results.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    This thread is crazy. If you as a fan don't have expectations for the tournament this year, well, I just don't understand that. We have plenty coming back, and a great class coming in.

If they don't make the tournament again, Steele is without a doubt a huge question mark moving forward. It would be the worst 3 year run in the last 35-40 years.
    Being a “fan” doesn’t mean I overlook reality and only have rose colored glasses to look through. I haven’t found a preview yet that has X projected as better than 5th in the BE, and virtually all of them say that 4-9 is a tossup. All of the ones that I’ve read say X is full of question marks. The best I’ve seen is Scruggs making 2nd tram all BE, and no other players from the squad making any of the teams. I’m keeping my expectations low and hope that I will be presently surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Being a “fan” doesn’t mean I overlook reality and only have rose colored glasses to look through. I haven’t found a preview yet that has X projected as better than 5th in the BE, and virtually all of them say that 4-9 is a tossup. All of the ones that I’ve read say X is full of question marks. The best I’ve seen is Scruggs making 2nd tram all BE, and no other players from the squad making any of the teams. I’m keeping my expectations low and hope that I will be presently surprised.
    Makes being an X fan not as much fun as it used to be....sad.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club