Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    18,522

    Three Man Weave- Big East Preview

    Really good and complete rundown on each team.
    They pick Xavier 7th.

    Here are the comments re: Steele-
    Opening Paragraph:
    “Outlook: Travis Steele fared better in his second season at the helm of the Musketeers but still failed to live up to preseason expectations. After being picked 3rd in the Big East preseason poll and 17th overall by KenPom, Xavier stumbled to an 8-10 conference record, finishing T-6th in the Big East and 45th in KenPom. Despite a good start to the year, there was no guarantee Xavier would even make the NCAA Tournament after losing three straight to end the season including an opening round conference tourney defeat to DePaul. With two subpar seasons under his belt, the pressure is on for Steele to start producing – Xavier fans are accustomed to seeing quality basketball.”

    Closing Paragraph:
    . There’s still a low floor here, however, and Steele has yet to prove he can lead a team that’s greater than the sum of its individual parts.”

    Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

    https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/...t-2021-preview
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  2. #2
    Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    2,027
    Quite the glowing review of the roster for the team to be picked 7th. I'm guessing the author doesn't think much of Steele's coaching. I'm hoping the roster the last 2 years was such a mismatch that Steele's hands were tied. And with a roster he tailored he can show his acumen on the bench.

  3. #3
    Supporting Member xudash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    8,029
    How many games did Paul Scruggs miss at the end of the season? Three?
    X A V I E R

  4. #4
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    18,522
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Quite the glowing review of the roster for the team to be picked 7th. I'm guessing the author doesn't think much of Steele's coaching. I'm hoping the roster the last 2 years was such a mismatch that Steele's hands were tied. And with a roster he tailored he can show his acumen on the bench.
    One thing that they are off on was that Adam Kunkle is not going for a waiver, right? Unless I missed something.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  5. #5
    Sophomore
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    2,027
    I understood Kunkle planned to sit out. Stanley I fear could go pro if he doesn't get the waiver. I forsee many games we score in the mid 80s.

  6. #6
    Supporting Member bobbiemcgee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Really good and complete rundown on each team.
    They pick Xavier 7th.

    Here are the comments re: Steele-
    Opening Paragraph:
    “Outlook: Travis Steele fared better in his second season at the helm of the Musketeers but still failed to live up to preseason expectations. After being picked 3rd in the Big East preseason poll and 17th overall by KenPom, Xavier stumbled to an 8-10 conference record, finishing T-6th in the Big East and 45th in KenPom. Despite a good start to the year, there was no guarantee Xavier would even make the NCAA Tournament after losing three straight to end the season including an opening round conference tourney defeat to DePaul. With two subpar seasons under his belt, the pressure is on for Steele to start producing – Xavier fans are accustomed to seeing quality basketball.”

    Closing Paragraph:
    . There’s still a low floor here, however, and Steele has yet to prove he can lead a team that’s greater than the sum of its individual parts.”

    Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

    https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/...t-2021-preview
    I would have to agree with the assessment of steele and last year's team, not with the 7th place this year.
    This space for rent.

  7. #7
    Not much to disagree with. Although I think WITH Stanley, we should finish between 3rd-6th.

  8. #8
    Junior
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,568
    The Travis rebuild really starts this year. Unfortunately the guys he had last two years were pieces that did not fit well together. A whole lot of new guys, I can't imagine expecting much. I see another year of struggling and being on the bubble leading to next year being a make or break year for Steele.

  9. #9
    Sophomore XUGRAD80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    The Travis rebuild really starts this year. Unfortunately the guys he had last two years were pieces that did not fit well together. A whole lot of new guys, I can't imagine expecting much. I see another year of struggling and being on the bubble leading to next year being a make or break year for Steele.
    I totally agree with this. I will add that there is IMO a good chance that they will be a tough out in the tourney iF they make it. I look for this team to start slowly and improve as the year goes on.

  10. #10
    Sophomore
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,947
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I totally agree with this. I will add that there is IMO a good chance that they will be a tough out in the tourney iF they make it. I look for this team to start slowly and improve as the year goes on.
    Like Providence last year? Gulp! They had a brutal start then put it all together at the end of the season.
    X is talented but very inexperienced. We shall see. You can't really disagree with the disappointment of the past 2 seasons.
    Now or never.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •