Page 295 of 763 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295296297305345395 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,950 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I know Trump is mad at the WHO, but what would have been the downside of joining the 170 nations on a coordinated effort to get a workable vaccine?
    It is my understanding that the problems this administration has with the coordinated effort included:

1. The USA would be covering a disproportionate cost towards the development and distribution of the vaccine
    2. The USA would be agreeing that a disproportionate amount of the first doses of the vaccine would be going to other countries around the world; rather than, our own US population.
    3. This administration does not trust the WHO in managing or overseeing this process as a whole.

With the USA having 3 viable vaccine options in or entering phase 3 trials, it appears this administration is content betting our our country's ability to develop, manufacture, and distribute a vaccine in our country. Then, focus more on helping the rest of the world.

I never saw anything in regard to the costs with the vaccine.
    I know Trump doesn't like the WHO, but there were other entities involved.
    I think we missed an opportunity. Sure hope we develop one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...8a5_story.html
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member

The bureaucracy of 170+ nations and entities is enough to not be involved in this "coordinated effort"

Adding another huge layer of bureaucratic red tape would be disastrous. When it comes to the seasonal flu shot, normally distribution becomes a big cluster and we’ve had decades to prepare for it. McKesson is already working on a distribution plan with individual states. They have experience with the H1N1 vaccine during the Obama administration.

But don’t worry Paul, there will always be an opportunity to complain about Trump and the Federal rollout. After all, we are relying on an ineffective Federal government. That goes for Trump being in or out of office. Couldn’t read article you posted so can’t speak to it.

The first, and one of the most widely used antibiotics, penicillin, was discovered in England by a Scot.
    I'd wager that everyone on this board at one time in their life, has had an X-ray, discovered by a German named Rontgen.

I hope for our country's sake that we do develop a vaccine quickly as we've pushed this nationalism stuff to the limit of common sense.
    We could have joined the other countries, and it's not just the WHO driving the group effort.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

The first, and one of the most widely used antibiotics, penicillin, was discovered in England by a Scot.
    I'd wager that everyone on this board at one time in their life, has had an X-ray, discovered by a German named Rontgen.

I hope for our country's sake that we do develop a vaccine quickly as we've pushed this nationalism stuff to the limit of common sense.
    We could have joined the other countries, and it's not just the WHO driving the group effort.
    First you have understand how pharmaceuticals are developed and sold with other countries.

1) We have way too many co-partnerships in development of vaccines and other pharmaceuticals. Obviously this is great for medicine and shows global partnerships.

2) European drug companies make way too much profit from the US in general.

3) Astra Zeneca has invested 30,000 doses in phase 3 trials already. Also signed a 1.2 billion dollar covid deal with the US government. Companies need to test around the world because genetic differences.

4) GSK and Sanofi have a 2.1 billion Covid (100 million dose) vaccine deal with the US government.

Do you honestly think GSK, Sanofi, and Astra Zeneca (3 European companies) are willing to walk away from us because we didn’t join Covax? Not going to happen and we’ll have ample of vaccines to choose from. Again, why would we go through the bureaucratic red tape crap with the WHO if we don’t have to?
    Last edited by noteggs; 09-03-2020 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Clarification on point 1

Sophomore

removed my original reply........ I am happy to discuss my understanding of COVID, vaccines, etc. as best I can to those who are interested.
    Last edited by kmcrawfo; 09-03-2020 at 07:13 PM.

I am curious at what point people should/will feel confident after a vaccine comes out. I hear widely varying opinions on if/when they would be willing to take the vaccine. I don’t want to be first in line (and won’t even be considered), but I won’t be simply writing it off as NOT happening as some people seem to do.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    I am curious at what point people should/will feel confident after a vaccine comes out. I hear widely varying opinions on if/when they would be willing to take the vaccine. I don’t want to be first in line (and won’t even be considered), but I won’t be simply writing it off as NOT happening as some people seem to do.
    I would feel confident in general herd immunity type protection about 6 months after an effective vaccine is widely distributed.

Quote Originally Posted by kmcrawfo View Post
    I would feel confident in general herd immunity type protection about 6 months after an effective vaccine is widely distributed.
    Thanks. How would you respond to the people who would not want to take any new vaccine, especially one that they felt was “rushed to market”?