Page 2120 of 2154 FirstFirst ... 11201620202020702110211821192120212121222130 ... LastLast
Results 21,191 to 21,200 of 21538

Thread: Politics Thread

Any ideas on who Trump's VP candidate will be??

I'm not an expert on constitutional law, but I know enough to get by. The way I understand it is this..

-The Republican Party no longer has the option of nominating someone other than Trump. The Convention is a formality. He is the nominee.

-He likely will be found guilty in his current trial, and while there is no guarantee he will go to prison if he is found guilty, it is at least possible that he will.

-Trump can still run for president even if he is in prison. And Trump would likely win, even if he is in prison.

Soooooo....THEN WHAT?????

In this particular case, he cannot pardon himself. I guess he could appeal to the Supreme Court that he must be given relief in order to not be in violation of his oath of office. Would he get it??

Or, in that situation, would the Vice President invoke the 25th Amendment, remove him from office, and basically become the President?? I'm GUESSING that's what would happen.

The chances of us being in this situation are greater than zero. It COULD happen. Prior to now this situation was unimaginable, but it could happen.

And, as another topic...

The current case in front of the Supreme Court about blanket presidential immunity, we can all at least agree that's complete nonsense, right?? I mean, with that logic, Biden could have Trump assassinated and claim presidential immunity. No one wants that. I know Trump wants that for himself, but NO ONE ELSE should want that!! How is this even a debate?? How has the SCOTUS not laughed this out of court yet??
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Supporting Member
    Probably noem. She’s kinda nuts, and been sucking up to him for a few years now. Plus she is super attractive so of course like any warm blooded male, trump likes that.
    Last edited by Xville; 04-30-2024 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Probably noem. She’s kinda nuts, and been sucking up to him for a few years now. Plus she is super attractive so of course like any red blooded male, trump likes that.
    So there is perhaps a better chance that in a year from now Kristi Noem is president than there is that Biden is president.

Noem would be fine, frankly. If she'd have just run for President I'd have voted for her. She's a bit competent for Trump's usual tastes, so he'll probably pick like Vivek or something.

The SCOTUS case isn't quite as laughable as you're making it out to be. It's about immunity as part of official actions. And a President obviously needs immunity for quite a few of the things he/she does. Trump is quite unlikely to win a judgment that his actions on/around 1/6 qualify for immunity, but the Court will make a ruling on what constitutes official duty that qualifies for immunity for a President, and then it will get sent down to the trial court (the trial court is the trier of fact) to determine Trump's conduct and whether it qualifies for immunity (it won't).

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Noem would be fine, frankly. If she'd have just run for President I'd have voted for her. She's a bit competent for Trump's usual tastes, so he'll probably pick like Vivek or something.

The SCOTUS case isn't quite as laughable as you're making it out to be. It's about immunity as part of official actions. And a President obviously needs immunity for quite a few of the things he/she does. Trump is quite unlikely to win a judgment that his actions on/around 1/6 qualify for immunity, but the Court will make a ruling on what constitutes official duty that qualifies for immunity for a President, and then it will get sent down to the trial court (the trial court is the trier of fact) to determine Trump's conduct and whether it qualifies for immunity (it won't).
    That is a very informative and concise explanation. Thank you.

I'm so damn old I just can't wrap my mind around a national party, let alone the Republican party, nominating a convicted sexual abuser.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Probably noem. She’s kinda nuts, and been sucking up to him for a few years now. Plus she is super attractive so of course like any warm blooded male, trump likes that.
    Just a quick tip for anyone thinking about running for nationwide office, tell your ghost writer to leave out the story about shooting your puppy.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I'm so damn old I just can't wrap my mind around a national party, let alone the Republican party, nominating a convicted sexual abuser.
    Trump hasn't been convicted of sexual abuse that I'm aware of. Only defamation (in a civil trial, so not really a "conviction").

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    As it stands now, it looks like the party will nominate him, and the people will elect him.

Now if someone OTHER than Joe Biden were to get the Democratic nomination, then....

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    Just a quick tip for anyone thinking about running for nationwide office, tell your ghost writer to leave out the story about shooting your puppy.
    Why that was included is at the best questionable. My dad grew up on a farm so I understand things work differently there but geezus. She even double downed on it which is just yikes.