Page 10 of 98 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Catholic 7 News

Don't get it either other than Title BU likes to aggravate people. See A-10 board.
    2023 Sweet 16

32-16

That is all

The only program X owns more than Dayton is Butler.

Quote Originally Posted by Title_BU View Post
    Hubris?

Its just the reality of things. Xavier is in no better position that Butler for the future. Its simple.
    No, it isn't that simple. I think Butler is positioned well and will be fine as we move on. Butler and Xavier are both positioned well to contribute to the new conference, but Butler's basketball program doesn't operate at Xavier's level financially, and unless Butler's renovation leads to seat licensing and demand for that seat licensing rises to a sufficient level to offset the lost capacity, the gap will only get wider.

Butler still has to secure and spend millions to clean-up an old, dusty building. You claim the renovation is happening. It's my understanding that it isn't funded yet, and it won't be for at least another year or two minimum.

Frankly, that new capacity figure of 8,500 is rather alarming. Perhaps Butler's fan support issue is the problem and the reason for the capacity reduction, in addition to whatever constraints a building that old places on the redesign. Butler placed 78th in NCAA 2012 attendance (down from 2011's figure), averaging 6,599 per home game. You can blame that on the Horizon schedule all you want, but your leadership is resetting the table to 8,500, and they're doing that for a reason.

Xavier was 39th in attendance in 2012 at 10,115. However, the Cintas Center is configured with suites and has high demand for seat licensing. Xavier's Forbes ranking as one of the top 20 most valuable basketball programs in the nation mainly comes from that. Only Xavier, Duke and Syracuse make that list. Butler will never see that list.

Again, both programs will add handsomely to the new conference, but financial wherewithal and position have everything to do with how well positioned a program is for the future. Xavier clearly enjoys an edge in that regard, which, along with its deeper fan support, positions it better than Butler for the future.
    Last edited by xudash; 02-22-2013 at 10:43 PM.
    X A V I E R

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post

Frankly, that new capacity figure of 8,500 is rather alarming. Perhaps Butler's fan support issue is the problem and the reason for the capacity reduction, in addition to whatever constraints a building that old places on the redesign. Butler placed 78th in NCAA 2012 attendance (down from 2011's figure), averaging 6,599 per home game. You can blame that on the Horizon schedule all you want, but your leadership is resetting the table to 8,500, and they're doing that for a reason.

Xavier was 39th in attendance in 2012 at 10,115. However, the Cintas Center is configured with suites and has high demand for seat licensing. Xavier's Forbes ranking as one of the top 20 most valuable basketball programs in the nation mainly comes from that. Only Xavier, Duke and Syracuse make that list. Butler will never see that list.

Butler has a horrible fan base. The fact is- both programs are one horrible coach away from dropping fast. Brad Stevens is a really good coach for a Butler type program, I am not surprised he hasn't jumped for a bigger challenge. I also don't blame him- he will continue to have solid seasons and make the tournament and every now and then have a run to the sweet 16/elite 8. Which is more than fine for the Butler program. If he ever jumps ship to a real program, he will have to do more than just make the tournament to keep his fanbase happy.

If he hasn't already jumped for a real challenge yet, will he ever? Makes good money and really has no pressure to do much. Its clear he lacks the confidence to run a big program.

Walk-On
    Apparently Butler fans are as delusional as Dayton fans.

Quote Originally Posted by REALtapsplunkett View Post
    Apparently Butler fans are as delusional as Dayton fans.
    Most fans are delusional. It's all a matter of degree. Just look at what Xavier just wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Title_BU View Post
    Hubris?

Its just the reality of things. Xavier is in no better position that Butler for the future. Its simple.
    I would argue that you need a better arena and more consistent fan support to be similarly well positioned. You do have a great coach who seems content at Butler which is a major plus and creates stability.
    Eat Donuts!

Was wired in this weekend.

I can tell you that the new Conference was discussed in the catacombs deep within the Xavier campus at Board meetings this weekend. Still some uncertainty as to the final timing and the final number of schools, but Xavier will be changing addresses very soon.

Take it to the bank, and lock it.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Was wired in this weekend.

I can tell you that the new Conference was discussed in the catacombs deep within the Xavier campus at Board meetings this weekend. Still some uncertainty as to the final timing and the final number of schools, but Xavier will be changing addresses very soon.

Take it to the bank, and lock it.
    I was in Cincy for XU meetings as well. And I got a similar report. A few additional nuggets:

1. The number of additional schools and their components are still being ironed out, but XU and Butler are in for sure. Siena is not a rumor. It is in play. As are Richmond, SLU and Creighton. Dayton is sweating, justifiably. Their star is fading. That said, I was told that one or more other schools, not currently being seriously discussed in the media, may well slide in. But they will not be Notre Dame.

2. The conference will not have disparate payouts to member schools. However, the first monies off the top from the TV deal will fund the direct startup costs for the conference, including conference buyouts for member institutions. Schools likely will be on their own as to lost NCAA credits, but their out-of-pocket transition costs will be covered from the TV deal.

3 This will be a huge -- HUGE -- financial boon for the university.