Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    Some of these threads are burning my eyes(and my soul). How do I put them on ignore so they don't show up when I click new posts?
    Couldn't agree with you more. I understand and adhere to - most of the time - the age old advice that guides you to simply ignore threads you have no interest in reading.

But the politics thread, in particular, and certain posters within that thread are at the point of practically embarrassing this board. Free speech? Yes, absolutely. Open discussion of various issues? No problem. But what happens when true open-mindedness is completely abandoned? What happens when you get to the point where absolute polarized positions shout away, utilizing supporting articles, videos, clips, etc. from their preferred biased sources to help them make a point. Well, you get the noisy and stupid electronic shouting match that has become the politics thread.

Yes, it's a message board. Yes, we're in the United States of America. Keep the restrictions off? Let it all, or most of it fly? Go ahead. Chill out, you say? Relax. I fully understand that this is a message board and that it is not a matter of national security, among other things.

However, it would be good to remember a couple of basic facts:

1. This is a basketball message board for a specific university. That's JOB ONE for this message board. Yet the politics thread has over 1 million views.

2. We Xavier fans who frequent this board aren't the only fans visiting this board.

I guess I've offered enough of my two cents. So, back to mostly ignoring certain threads. Oh, and not visiting this board on a daily basis as I had always done in the past.
    Last edited by xudash; 06-18-2021 at 01:15 PM.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more. I understand and adhere to - most of the time - the age old advice that guides you to simply ignore threads you have no interest in reading.

But the politics thread, in particular, and certain posters within that thread are at the point of practically embarrassing this board. Free speech? Yes, absolutely. Open discussion of various issues? No problem. But what happens when true open-mindedness is completely abandoned? What happens when you get to the point where absolute polarized positions shout away, utilizing supporting articles, videos, clips, etc. from their preferred biased sources to help them make a point. Well, you get the noisy and stupid electronic shouting match that has become the politics thread.

Yes, it's a message board. Yes, we're in the United States of America. Keep the restrictions off? Let it all, or most of it fly? Go ahead. Chill out, you say? Relax. I fully understand that this is a message board and that it is not a matter of national security, among other things.

1. This is a basketball message board for a specific university. That's JOB ONE for this message board. Yet the politics thread has over 1 million views.

2. We Xavier fans who frequent this board aren't the only fans visiting this board.

I guess I've offered enough of my two cents. So, back to mostly ignoring certain threads. Oh, and not visiting this board on a daily basis as I had always done in the past.
    I hear what you're saying about casual visitor's opinions about the University based on the thread. Fair or not.

Motion to move the thread to the Lounge? Can I get a 2nd?
    Last edited by Strange Brew; 06-18-2021 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    I hear what you're saying about individuals who are casual visitors to the board's opinions about the University based on the thread. Fair or not.

Motion to move the thread to the Lounge? Can I get a 2nd?
    2nd.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post

Damn, I'm intrigued. I've never opened that thread. I may need to jump into that action!

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    For me, I enjoy the debate and it gives me an idea of what others I may not agree with are thinking. It's more interesting to me than the PGA, Stock Market or the coaches tournament threads. I glance at those occasionally but they don't bug me. It's the offseason and this board has a lot of passion for a lot of things. Not everybody cares about everything posted here and that's fine.
    Damnit, why can't you be passionate about creating a Reddit thread on the correlation between what the players have for pregame meal and how well we shoot from 3 that night like a normal off-season fan haha... though I get it, a mental challenge that's respectful is always fun, the key is keeping it as respectful.

Moved the thread to the House of Smack. It shouldn't show up in the new posts.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    This is great. Thank you kind and generous board moderator.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Thank you Muskie. A great act of compromise resembling a modern Henry Clay.

It just showed up in the "New Posts" for me. Not complaining as I don't mind keeping up with the thread, but FYI.

It should not be showing up in recent posts (which is the side bar). I am working through the new post issue. I should have been more clear.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook