Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    One of the real beauties of NCAA sports, and especially basketball, is watching a relatively unknown school compete successfully in the national tournaments. I fear that this will new decision, and ones that will undoubtedly come, will make a thing of the past. That all success will be even more held onto by a very small select group of schools and conferences. I don’t see that as a plus, even if X is a part of that select group. Some of the magic of college sports will be taken away. I consider that a negative, and not a good thing for sports as a whole.
    This is one of my concerns as well.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    This is one of my concerns as well.
    Xavier has never beaten UK for a recruit and FAU has never beaten Xavier for a recruit. Where is this parity y'all speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Xavier has never beaten UK for a recruit and FAU has never beaten Xavier for a recruit. Where is this parity y'all speak of?
    This past year there were two non-P5 teams in the Final Four.

Two years ago before COVID there were three that would have likely been #1 seeds, or at least in the top five. But, let's set that aside for a minute...

Maybe not FAU, but other CUSA schools such as WKU, and North Texas this past year, and Middle Tennessee when Kermit Davis was there, have been able to put together some really good basketball teams that aren't s good as the P5 teams in the top 25, but aren't so far behind them that they're not good enough to beat them on a given day.

The other thing to consider is that it isn't so much Michigan State, or Duke, or Kansas, or the teams that are routinely at the top of the P5 conferences that will change. It's Minnesota, and Ole Miss, and the teams that are usually around the middle and bottom of those leagues that the top teams from the under the radar conferences can actually out recruit and outperform. Last year teams like North Texas, and UCSB, and Loyola Chicago, and Drake, were better than just about every P5 team that finished at or below .500 in their leagues. All things being equal, there is an appeal for players who may not be recruited by the elite programs, but are being recruited by the midlevel P5 programs and the top level under the radar programs to go to the under the radar programs. If those P5 teams start to pay for players, that will not happen nearly as often, if at all.

It just occurred to me what an incredible week the NCAA has had…

-They united a very divided Supreme Court against them

-They got Clarence Thomas to actually speak

-They got people to like Brett Kavanaugh

That’s a hell of a week!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    There's are only 200 minutes to go around per game. Players will not go to a school just to sit on the pine.
    Do you really think that every player comes in as a freshman expecting to start and get significant minutes? Maybe the top 25 players do, but for every top 25 can’t miss that actually is an impact player, there are several that just don’t pan out.

There may well be many players that decide that they will be willing to sit on a bench for a few years and earn money, over going to another school and playing but earning no money. There may well be many players that decide to go to a certain school because of the earnings potential over the playing potential.

I guess I’m just old school, but I dislike the idea that someone would attend COLLEGE because of the potential to make money while at that school, and not for what the education and experience will prepare them for in the future. The whole reason to even go to college should be to grow from a child to an adult. To become more educated and more mature. To develop intellectually and emotionally. To develop beyond just what someone learns on a field or a court. As a fan, I don’t want to just be watching another professional sport where the players only have loyalty to themselves and the almighty dollar.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; Today at 05:08 AM.

I know I've been saying this for years, but I'll say it again. I can't help but think the NCAA could have done things over the past decade or so to mitigate this. But, they didn't. They just kept doubling down on their "principles." And now things are likely going to be a total fustercluck.
    This article pretty well scorches the NCAA - and commissioners to some extent - for this also.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-can-on...180112658.html
    You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Freshman
    This past year there were two non-P5 teams in the Final Four.

Two years ago before COVID there were three that would have likely been #1 seeds, or at least in the top five. But, let's set that aside for a minute...

Maybe not FAU, but other CUSA schools such as WKU, and North Texas this past year, and Middle Tennessee when Kermit Davis was there, have been able to put together some really good basketball teams that aren't s good as the P5 teams in the top 25, but aren't so far behind them that they're not good enough to beat them on a given day.

The other thing to consider is that it isn't so much Michigan State, or Duke, or Kansas, or the teams that are routinely at the top of the P5 conferences that will change. It's Minnesota, and Ole Miss, and the teams that are usually around the middle and bottom of those leagues that the top teams from the under the radar conferences can actually out recruit and outperform. Last year teams like North Texas, and UCSB, and Loyola Chicago, and Drake, were better than just about every P5 team that finished at or below .500 in their leagues. All things being equal, there is an appeal for players who may not be recruited by the elite programs, but are being recruited by the midlevel P5 programs and the top level under the radar programs to go to the under the radar programs. If those P5 teams start to pay for players, that will not happen nearly as often, if at all.
    Agree to disagree. Recruiting rankings tracks almost 1 to 1 with athletic budget right now. The only difference these new rules will make is the players rightfully getting their piece of the pie.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Agree to disagree. Recruiting rankings tracks almost 1 to 1 with athletic budget right now. The only difference these new rules will make is the players rightfully getting their piece of the pie.
    I hope you're right.

I can't help but think this will turn out to be a much bigger mess with a much bigger fallout than what it needed to be. I'm not sure how long you've been around, but for about fifteen years I've been saying that the NCAA needs to get out in front of this and be willing to make concessions. Doing so would have been what was right for the players, but also from the completely selfish standpoint of the NCAA it would have kept an unwinnable case out of the courts.

But, they didn't. And how this ends up will likely be completely outside of their control.

It was stupid. They make over a billion dollars a year off of the NCAA Tournament. Some of that money could have been used to compensate, or at least supplement the compensation, of players in all sports all across the D1 landscape. It isn't unusual for coaches to make millions. Some of that could have been directed toward the players as well. Doing those things would have likely kept this out of the courts. But, the NCAA did none of those things. They kept doubling down on a "value" that has now been called out by the highest court in the land as being illegal. They could have made up their own NIL laws a long time ago that would have been fair to everyone, but they didn't, and now the courts are doing it for them. They could have addressed player compensation a long time ago and made rules that were fair to everyone, but they didn't, and now the courts are doing it for them, and will likely continue to do it for them.

There is some catharsis to it. They've been so stubborn and so stupid for so long that it is kind of nice to see this blow up in their face. But that catharsis is very short term. The sports and the NCAA itself could potentially digress and face issues that could have been avoided.
    Last edited by xubrew; Today at 10:17 AM.