Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I don't necessarily think he's wrong on principle. And I completely agree. A free education is definitely not nothing.

The problem is that what he's saying is not a winning legal argument when it comes to anti-trust laws. Maybe he doesn't mean for it to be and is only speaking on the matter of principle, but legally this does not fly. I think the NCAA is FINALLY, and at long last (still very slowly, but nevertheless FINALLY) starting to realize they can't win this if the issue is pressed in the courts. A lot of the people who have issues with player compensation and NIL aren't necessarily wrong on principle, but they are completely wrong if they think that the law will be on their side. It isn't. I think that fact is finally starting to become obvious.
    Barkley definitely was not speaking to the legality...on principle, I completely agree with him in multiple ways. I do think it is odd that "we" are having to change the rules for such a miniscule percentage of college athletes

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Barkley definitely was not speaking to the legality...on principle, I completely agree with him in multiple ways. I do think it is odd that "we" are having to change the rules for such a miniscule percentage of college athletes
    It probably effects more than what you think.

The old/current/soon to be changed rules make it illegal for college athletes to post or tweet about what their favorite pizza place is because that's considered an endorsement with the use of their NIL. So, that's kind of a stupid rule that will be nice to get rid of.

It also probably impacts the country club sports more than the revenue sports. Those that play golf, or tennis, or swim, or probably even softball, can now get jobs at actual country clubs. A lot of clubs would hire them so they can be able to say "Hey, we've got actual college athletes working here! Come take lessons or play a few rounds with them!" I mean, they won't be making a ton of money doing that, but they'll be making more than zero. A lot of places will want to hire them. Once this goes through, they can.

Being able to pretty much get any job they can get without needing to run it by the compliance office is actually something that impacts everyone. Now, to your point, the vast majority won't be getting jobs that are all that much different than the ones they have now, but it's still a change for the better to simply not need to seek permission to make sure it's not an extra benefit and that they're not profiting off their NIL.
    Last edited by xubrew; 05-14-2021 at 04:54 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Sophomore

The old/current/soon to be changed rules make it illegal for college athletes to post or tweet about what their favorite pizza place is because that's considered an endorsement with the use of their NIL. So, that's kind of a stupid rule that will be nice to get rid of.

It also probably impacts the country club sports more than the revenue sports. Those that play golf, or tennis, or swim, or probably even softball, can now get jobs at actual country clubs. A lot of clubs would hire them so they can be able to say "Hey, we've got actual college athletes working here! Come take lessons or play a few rounds with them!" I mean, they won't be making a ton of money doing that, but they'll be making more than zero. A lot of places will want to hire them. Once this goes through, they can.

Being able to pretty much get any job they can get without needing to run it by the compliance office is actually something that impacts everyone. Now, to your point, the vast majority won't be getting jobs that are all that much different than the ones they have now, but it's still a change for the better to simply not need to seek permission to make sure it's not an extra benefit and that they're not profiting off their NIL.
    Won't Title IX demand equal pay?

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Won't Title IX demand equal pay?
    No. Not for NIL. Good question, though, because that is an important point.
    Last edited by xubrew; 06-04-2021 at 08:16 AM.

This is exactly why the NCAA should have seen the writing on the wall and made something similar possible years ago. Now, they will lose far more than they would have if they had just realized then what was always going to happen.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

This is exactly why the NCAA should have seen the writing on the wall and made something similar possible years ago. Now, they will lose far more than they would have if they had just realized then what was always going to happen.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    You're not wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    Unfortunately the NCAA is more reactive that proactive. The proactive decisions they do make are usually short-sighted, have unintended (bad) consequences and are often head-scratching at least or just plain stupid.
    You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

I've got an idea: let's wait until the very last moment...and create a giant cluster****.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.