Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I just know that Clarence Thomas spoke, so that's enough to make today's deliberations notable.

I'm certain that this is all going to result in something that causes me to be less interested in college sports.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I just know that Clarence Thomas spoke, so that's enough to make today's deliberations notable.

I'm certain that this is all going to result in something that causes me to be less interested in college sports.
    "It strikes me as odd that the coaches' salaries have ballooned and they are in the amateur ranks, as are the players."

I don’t think Clarence Thomas has ever said this many words in his entire time on the SCOTUS.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post

Had to get it on the record that he thinks Nebraska is still a powerhouse program.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

I thought Justice Roberts summed it up: " It's like a game of Jenga You've got this nice solid block that protects the sort of product the schools want to provide. And you pull one log and then another and everything's fine and another and another. And all of a sudden the whole thing comes crashing down."
    2018 Big East Champs!

I do not see any way this does not end very badly for the NCAA. Odds are that by the end of the summer the rules of amateurism will be completely overhauled, and perhaps thrown out entirely. And, since it's the supreme court, the NCAA really won't have much of a choice.

Here's the question that I ultimately have right now for the NCAA...

Why did you fight this so stubbornly and for so long when everyone with any sense at all knew it was in violation of anti-trust laws, and that there was a very real chance that you'd eventually end up losing everything??
    Last edited by xubrew; 04-05-2021 at 10:13 AM.

2018 Big East Champs!

q=we+gotta+protect+our+phony+baloney+jobs+youtube& docid=608009769658424149&mid=169F287ACB45CC1DECF11 69F287ACB45CC1DECF1&view=detail&FORM=VIRE[/QUOTE]

Any Mel Brooks reference is appropriate, especially from Blazing Saddles. "Somebody go back and get a shitload of dimes" also comes to mind.

Part of the issue, as in many social and political debates, is the idea of fairness. They deserve their "fair share". That opens up a whole other slew of issues:
    1. What does that even mean?
    2. Who gets to decide?
    3. Fair to whom exactly?
    4. What is fair today....
    5. Is what is fair to a P5 or other high $$$ generating program the same as XYZ College and across all sports?
    6. How are program levels (D1, D2, D3 etc.) compensated?
    7. What about cheer leaders, band members, student managers etc.?
    8. What about the music scholar or research scholar?
    9. What about.........(the dozen or so things, as yet considered, barely tangential, if at all)?

The whole 'fairness' issue is so nebulous, malleable and a camels nose in the tent, there will be no end to the unravelling. That will be for the foreseeable future the new focus of college athletics. If you thought this year was unbearably depressing...*
    You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Any Mel Brooks reference is appropriate, especially from Blazing Saddles. "Somebody go back and get a shitload of dimes" also comes to mind.

Part of the issue, as in many social and political debates, is the idea of fairness. They deserve their "fair share". That opens up a whole other slew of issues:
    1. What does that even mean?
    2. Who gets to decide?
    3. Fair to whom exactly?
    4. What is fair today....
    5. Is what is fair to a P5 or other high $$$ generating program the same as XYZ College and across all sports?
    6. How are program levels (D1, D2, D3 etc.) compensated?
    7. What about cheer leaders, band members, student managers etc.?
    8. What about the music scholar or research scholar?
    9. What about.........(the dozen or so things, as yet considered, barely tangential, if at all)?

The whole 'fairness' issue is so nebulous, malleable and a camels nose in the tent, there will be no end to the unravelling. That will be for the foreseeable future the new focus of college athletics. If you thought this year was unbearably depressing...*
    10. Both sides will be immediately looking for loopholes once a decision comes out.
    Balls of Steele!!

All-Conference
    Barkley says some crazy shit sometimes, but my gawd i think he absolutely hits the nail on the head here:

https://twitter.com/finebaum/status/1390032499133255684

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Barkley says some crazy shit sometimes, but my gawd i think he absolutely hits the nail on the head here:

https://twitter.com/finebaum/status/1390032499133255684
    I don't necessarily think he's wrong on principle. And I completely agree. A free education is definitely not nothing.

The problem is that what he's saying is not a winning legal argument when it comes to anti-trust laws. Maybe he doesn't mean for it to be and is only speaking on the matter of principle, but legally this does not fly. I think the NCAA is FINALLY, and at long last (still very slowly, but nevertheless FINALLY) starting to realize they can't win this if the issue is pressed in the courts. A lot of the people who have issues with player compensation and NIL aren't necessarily wrong on principle, but they are completely wrong if they think that the law will be on their side. It isn't. I think that fact is finally starting to become obvious.