Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by muskienick View Post
    If that were the prerequisite for fielding a sports team at Xavier, there would only be one: the Men's basketball team. I don't think that's what college sports is all about.
    What is college sports about? Football was dropped years ago because it was a money drain on the University.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbluebrotha View Post
    I'll make this point again, if we all displayed the same passion for the program we're displaying with our posts year round, attendance would be a lot better.
    Yes, absolutely yes.

It is interesting though to see some people post on here, ranting and raving about how the team is doing, or the coaches whatever, and it always comes late in the season, and of course now during a coaching change, the post starts something like this
    I don't really go to many games but................

Quote Originally Posted by muskienick View Post
    If that were the prerequisite for fielding a sports team at Xavier, there would only be one: the Men's basketball team. I don't think that's what college sports is all about.
    Correct, and overall I would say that a university athletic department is a financial drag on all but a select few schools that get massive TV deals.
    College sport is absolutely not about making money though, it is about many things. It raises awareness in the schools community and around the country, it is a matter of pride for alums, it attracts students, and it gives an entire students body options for social events in a safe environment on campus. I'm certain that someone with any university could name another dozen reasons that college sport exists and making money is not one of them.

XUWIN, Women do support Xavier womens basketball, men do support Xavier womens basketball, and their kids support Xavier womens basketball. We have the top attendance numbers in our conference.

Quote Originally Posted by XU-PA View Post
    Correct, and overall I would say that a university athletic department is a financial drag on all but a select few schools that get massive TV deals.
    College sport is absolutely not about making money though, it is about many things. It raises awareness in the schools community and around the country, it is a matter of pride for alums, it attracts students, and it gives an entire students body options for social events in a safe environment on campus. I'm certain that someone with any university could name another dozen reasons that college sport exists and making money is not one of them.

XUWIN, Women do support Xavier womens basketball, men do support Xavier womens basketball, and their kids support Xavier womens basketball. We have the top attendance numbers in our conference.
    I attend the womens basketball games and I can get there 20 minutes before game time and for $10 get a seat at mid court lower level and park for free right by the Cintas Center. The support of womens sports is very poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbluebrotha View Post
    Right now, I have to agree that the current roster as I know it doesn't look as if it's going to produce a Final Four run anytime soon, but let's keep in mind that if McGuff and Neighbors were the primary recruiters, neither exactly capitalized in that area while having All Americans on the roster for the past four seasons.
    Great point. This is the bottom line for me. Really if it wasn't for Rutan's last minute heroics in last years NCAA game against Vanderbilt, we'd be talking about 2 straight years with 2nd round exits. (with 2 All Americans).

Quote Originally Posted by xuwin View Post
    I attend the womens basketball games and I can get there 20 minutes before game time and for $10 get a seat at mid court lower level and park for free right by the Cintas Center. The support of womens sports is very poor.
    It is poor in relation to the support for men's BB at Xavier but it is light years ahead of all other XU NCAA team sports and among the most well-supported women's BB programs in the nation.

Think "Glass half full," xuwin!
    Last edited by muskienick; 05-29-2011 at 11:44 AM.

I'm really not sure what your argument is all about. I think everyone is fully aware that in Cincinnati, the Xavier women get crappy support. This despite having a consistent winner on the floor, legitimate stars on the team, and fairly strong marketing efforts by the University. I have a very strong opinion about why the support is not there, and it is very involved and if I get started I'll never start. That's a soap box for another day.
    Thank you though for using the correct term. Most of the players do like it if you refer to it as women's basketball, or just basketball.

On another topic, I notice nothing has come from wbbfan after a pretty strong accusation. If that is true It will be quite disappointing, I have a very high opinion of the man.

Yes, it does seem wbbfan has not denied the accusations of DoubleDribble. I think DoubleDribble hit it right on the head. A shame Coach Neighbors was such a sore loser and had to knock Coach Waugh and the program when they have not even had a chance to prove themselves. I think this staff will work very hard to prove the the ex-coach wrong.
    Last edited by ohiobballfan; 05-29-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spelled wrong

Quote Originally Posted by XU-PA View Post
    I'm really not sure what your argument is all about. I think everyone is fully aware that in Cincinnati, the Xavier women get crappy support. This despite having a consistent winner on the floor, legitimate stars on the team, and fairly strong marketing efforts by the University. I have a very strong opinion about why the support is not there, and it is very involved and if I get started I'll never start. That's a soap box for another day.
    Thank you though for using the correct term. Most of the players do like it if you refer to it as women's basketball, or just basketball.

On another topic, I notice nothing has come from wbbfan after a pretty strong accusation. If that is true It will be quite disappointing, I have a very high opinion of the man.
    My argument is that the men's basketball program pays it's own way and the women's program doesn't and the big reason is that most women don't care enough about the sport to go the the games and subsidize it financially. Most business can't operate that way and running a University is a business.

My argument is that the men's basketball program pays it's own way and the women's program doesn't and the big reason is that most women don't care enough about the sport to go the the games and subsidize it financially. Most business can't operate that way and running a University is a business.
    That's what I meant earlier when I said: "that's not what college sports is all about." Paying its own way should not be the only criterion for a college to retain or jettison a specific sports program. The fact remains that Xavier is already on the low end on the number of sports programs it sponsors at the intercollegiate level. As far as I know, there is no wrestling, softball, LAX (m or w), men's volleyball, fencing, rowing, or gymnastics (m or w). XU dropped its support of the rifle team (which I think won at least one national championship). We all know of the demise of our NCAA Football team in 1973.

Using the pay-or-you-go logic, I assume some people won't be happy until XU gets rid of all sports except Men's Basketball. The only problem with that is --- what Conference would want such a one-dimentional member?