Page 483 of 520 FirstFirst ... 383433473481482483484485493 ... LastLast
Results 4,821 to 4,830 of 5194
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Why does everything needed to be twisted into liberal or conservative? Get over it!

Good things come with higher education. If UC having decent sports programs helps elevate their school, much like the Xavier formula, then so be it. (I am NOT arguing the funding of their athletics, which is another issue, IMO.)

Vanderbilt may be private, but it’s value is incredible in the Nashville area because of the medical research and development that comes with the territory. You hear Nashville and think country music, but it’s a medical hub generating good jobs and significant wealth, not to mention the benefit to mankind.

A good public example would be UCF. Orlando isn’t just Mickey and Disney anymore. They have a medical school that came out of the ground about 15-20 years ago. Good things happened all around it, creating jobs, wealth and research. That’s a GOOD thing.

I want to beat UC every year, but that’s a basketball thing. I know there are complete A-Holes all over town who take this “rivalry” completely too far. I wasn’t looking for a fight when I sat down at Arthur’s for dinner a few years ago wearing X gear. From my experience, it’s mostly UC fans (of which there are far more), but there are plenty of both. My sister graduated from X, but married a great UC grad.

I like college towns, and I like a balance in life. Everything I see is not painted as liberal or conservative.
    Great post.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    While I agree there is certainly a financial impact to your point a, I believe that’s mostly been to the school, not to the city of Cincinnati.
    So again, having to state the obvious is a head scratcher for me.

Xavier athletics joining the Big East greatly enhanced the City's profile in multiple positive aspects. I.E. having National Champion Villanova in town yearly, tends to draw far more national media attention vs any A10 matchup.....thus nothing but positive overall view of the city and the financial benefits that come with it.

So it follows suit that Bearcat football making the CFP and the subsequent addition to the B12, will yield undeniable financial benefits for the city as a whole. Jayhawk BBall yearly and Baylor/BYU football here is nothing but a homerun.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

I started at xu in 1991. I was from out of town and XU was barely more than a Cinderella and we’re just making noise in the NCAAs.

UC made the Final 4 my freshman year. The level of superiority that existed was nauseating.

They were more nationally renowned, with a thug as a coach. And we were the little engine that shouldn’t, but did.

And there was NO respect from them towards us. Only contempt and distain.

And we beat their asses. Way more than they beat ours. And yet still the lack of respect.

We’ve passed them. They know it. Heck, everyone does.

They can burn as far as I care.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I started at xu in 1991. I was from out of town and XU was barely more than a Cinderella and we’re just making noise in the NCAAs.

UC made the Final 4 my freshman year. The level of superiority that existed was nauseating.

They were more nationally renowned, with a thug as a coach. And we were the little engine that shouldn’t, but did.

And we beat their asses. Way more than they beat ours. And yet still the lack of respect.

That's really seeing the big picture. I can tell how your upbringing prepared you for these sort of discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post

I go back a stretch before '91, but I am right there with you in those sentiments. The team and fanbase arrogance generated by that ONE Hugs F4, is the driving source of the XU disdain for their program and is totally justified....Lenny Brown zipped them up in legendary fashion!

Not to mention, the whole thing is compounded 10 fold knowing that the Ed Badger/Tony Yates teams were as PATHETIC as they come, just a decade earlier. It is and will continue to be a season high note to monkey stomp their asses on a regular basis!
    Last edited by Xuperman; 07-15-2022 at 10:28 PM.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    So again, having to state the obvious is a head scratcher for me.

Xavier athletics joining the Big East greatly enhanced the City's profile in multiple positive aspects. I.E. having National Champion Villanova in town yearly, tends to draw far more national media attention vs any A10 matchup.....thus nothing but positive overall view of the city and the financial benefits that come with it.

So it follows suit that Bearcat football making the CFP and the subsequent addition to the B12, will yield undeniable financial benefits for the city as a whole. Jayhawk BBall yearly and Baylor/BYU football here is nothing but a homerun.
    I understand your point, I just believe that most of the positive economic impact is for the school itself vs the city at large when it comes to sports programs. it’s pretty difficult to quantify the economic impact to the city, especially when it comes to the difference between a “successful” program and not. Most importantly, uc can rot in hell for all I care :)
    Last edited by Xville; 07-16-2022 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I understand your point, I just believe that most of the positive economic impact is for the school itself vs the city at large when it comes to sports programs. it’s pretty difficult to quantify the economic impact to the city, especially when it comes to the difference between a “successful” program and not. Most importantly, uc can rot in hell for all I care :)
    Here is a good statistical measuring stick for estimated economic impact generated by local sports.

https://spectrumnews1.com/oh/columbu...%20each%20year.

The Flying Pig estimate cited here is an eye opener. $15 mil dumped into the local economy for just 1 event. Not only do the local businesses profit, but the City itself does as well through income/sales tax.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 07-16-2022 at 09:00 AM.

I hope Cincinnati does well.
    I hope the University of Cincinnati does well.
    I could give 2 sh$ts about their basketball team and the pussy coaches they've had who wanted to fight with our players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLkQ7OPcfE0
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    That's really seeing the big picture. I can tell how your upbringing prepared you for these sort of discussions.
    Ummmm, ok I guess.

Nice cheap shot.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Sort of conference carousel:

Indianapolis Star - IUPUI to split into IU-Indianapolis and Purdue-Indianapolis

This split would take place beginning in fall 2024.