Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    If he were to be a first round pick he's got some guaranteed money, and everything will probably work out considering an NBA franchise made that investment. A second round pick means the player doesn't get the big contract, and isn't a priority to the franchise. Still, I wonder if the NBA DLeague would provide the same level of health care that a top basketball program like X or an NBA team would. I would imagine to return to be an elite athlete he can't let any ol doctor or health care provider handle his major knee problems, major shoulder surgery, and that concussion will need an occasional check up. Maybe Xavier provides him the best possible coverage for him at this stage in his life/career. I hope it works out for the best possible outcome.

I enjoy the certainty of people's convictions on what should and will happen, despite the polar opposite opinions. I can tell you this with 100% certainty - I have no idea what should or will happen, or what the odds are. Too much to play out at this point. I'll just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Trevon should stay. Europe will always be there. He will never play in the NBA. Other than a jump shot, what would he bring to any NBA team.
    This is the biggest reason he shouldn't stay. If that is a certainty then why waste a year of money, plus a life of compound interest. He's good enough to make excellent money in Europe. Let's say he makes 200k next year and let's say he saves 100k of it. That's about 900k by the time he's 55. I get staying for one final run, and hope he can improve his stock, but it would be a horrible decision financially if we're assuming he will never play in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    This is the biggest reason he shouldn't stay. If that is a certainty then why waste a year of money, plus a life of compound interest. He's good enough to make excellent money in Europe. Let's say he makes 200k next year and let's say he saves 100k of it. That's about 900k by the time he's 55. I get staying for one final run, and hope he can improve his stock, but it would be a horrible decision financially if we're assuming he will never play in the NBA.
    Totally agree Maybe the only hope we have is him wanting to enjoy his last year of college and working his way up the career scoring ladder at Xavier.

[QUOTE=XMuskieFTW;581128]This is the biggest reason he shouldn't stay. If that is a certainty then why waste a year of money, plus a life of compound interest. He's good enough to make excellent money in Europe. Let's say he makes 200k next year and let's say he saves 100k of it. That's about 900k by the time he's 55. I get staying for one final run, and hope he can improve his stock, but it would be a horrible decision financially if we're assuming he will never play in the

His dream his the NBA, not Europe. Not many guys ever leave early for Europe. It's kind of odd.

[QUOTE=xavierj;581147]
    Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    This is the biggest reason he shouldn't stay. If that is a certainty then why waste a year of money, plus a life of compound interest. He's good enough to make excellent money in Europe. Let's say he makes 200k next year and let's say he saves 100k of it. That's about 900k by the time he's 55. I get staying for one final run, and hope he can improve his stock, but it would be a horrible decision financially if we're assuming he will never play in the

His dream his the NBA, not Europe. Not many guys ever leave early for Europe. It's kind of odd.
    I agree that it is somewhat odd and it seems to be in a way becoming part of the culture at X the way some talk about how much of a no brainer it is. I mean, doesn't this thinking apply to the vast vast majority of guys who play at X? At the same time, I certainly understand the logic.

James Blackmon is probably going to make a similar move at the end of this season. Granted, the IU situation is gonna be a mess and he has injury concerned, but similar to Tre and Jalen last year it has basically been assumed he would leave after this season no matter what. Interesting that he and Tre go way back on the AAU circuit and were part of an Indiana class that wasn't exactly known as low maintenance.
    Last edited by AviatorX; 02-28-2017 at 07:48 AM.

[QUOTE=AviatorX;581148]
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post

I agree that it is somewhat odd and it seems to be in a way becoming part of the culture at X the way some talk about how much of a no brainer it is. I mean, doesn't this thinking apply to the vast vast majority of guys who play at X? At the same time, I certainly understand the logic.

James Blackmon is probably going to make a similar move at the end of this season. Granted, the IU situation is gonna be a mess and he has injury concerned, but similar to Tre and Jalen last year it has basically been assumed he would leave after this season no matter what. Interesting that he and Tre go way back on the AAU circuit and were part of an Indiana class that wasn't exactly known as low maintenance.
    I feel like the leaving for Europe early thing is somewhat of a new phenomenon. That being said, I'm shocked more guys don't do it after their Sophomore or junior years. I wouldn't be surprised if we really start to see a trend of it over the next 10 years or so.

[QUOTE=XMuskieFTW;581149]
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post

I feel like the leaving for Europe early thing is somewhat of a new phenomenon. That being said, I'm shocked more guys don't do it after their Sophomore or junior years. I wouldn't be surprised if we really start to see a trend of it over the next 10 years or so.
    Yeah, agreed. I should have included that in my post, that we might start seeing a lot more of this nation wide especially as the NBA develops it's vision for the D-League (or should I say G League).

I have no idea how Tre feels or what his thoughts are on the situation. But my guess would be given his background with his family that staying and getting his degree might be something to keep him here if the reports do not come back positive heading into the draft. If Ed were to stay, I could see them possibly wanting another crack at it together with JP after the disappointment this year. That would be the only way I see him staying.

IMO, I think he gets taken in the 2nd round. He's proven he can score. Obviously the athleticism and everything else hurts him. But his offensive game is worth a 2nd rounder, especially for how role players are used in the league now. I think that'll be enough for him to want to leave.

Junior
    [QUOTE=XMuskieFTW;581149]
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post

I don't think it will become a trend. The guys who will make a lot of money right away are the borderline NBA guys (like Tre). It will be hard to convince these guys to continue to head to Europe when easiest path to the NBA is by finishing your college career. (as opposed to leaving early and going to Europe). The path to the NBA is a little more difficult if you head to Europe, IMO. Again, these are borderline guys- so some I can see understand the shot at the NBA is very small and see the value in going to Europe to start getting paid. Most will hold on the the dream still.

As for Tre- I think the best chance we have for him to stay is if He/Sumner/JP all agree they want another crack at it together.