Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Don’t we want Scruggs to take ownership of this team and go for the last shot?
    I’m happy Jones made that 3 but I want Scruggs, Johnson or even Kunkel to go for their best shot. The odds say they have done it before and have higher probability for success. Just saying.
    The probability of making the open shot is much better than the probability of making a forced shot. I watched enough of that crap the last two years.
    Balls of Steele!!

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    But he plays one on TV.
    HAHAHA, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    I don’t think positions are relevant as much as which positions you can defend. Jones is as versatile defender X has. The lateral quickness is the best on the team. Scruggs gets away with a lot because he has such great length but just watch Jones move his feet.

Also... Jones might be a guard
    Yes he can guard 1-3 which is great.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Um...
    My thoughts exactly. Since when is Colby Jones not a guard?? Need an explanation on that one.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

UConn guard James Bouknight has had elbow surgery and is out indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    Here is my take on defenders. For the guards I would say that Scruggs and Johnson are 1A and 1B. Those two are just super strong defenders and are very good with offside help. Kunkel would be next. He doesn't give the offensive player much room to operate before putting the ball on the floor even though he's under sized. Odom is next but does very good for a freshman but I would list him as a tad below average for Big East starter level. Tandy has shown the capability of being an average defender but obviously not often enough.

Colby Jones is NOT a guard.
    Call him whatever you want but he does bring the ball up against the press, can handle the ball like a point guard, played point guard in high school, is a very good passer and guards guards a lot. So if he is not a guard he does a lot of things guards do. So yeah he is a three that can probably play the 1-4. Whatever he is, he will be a stud.

I’m happy Jones made that 3 but I want Scruggs, Johnson or even Kunkel to go for their best shot. The odds say they have done it before and have higher probability for success. Just saying.
    Come on now man. You can’t be serious.

No, you want whoever is in position to make that shot and has the best look, you should trust each of your teammates even if you're the guy, that's buying into TEAM basketball, it's a TEAM sport. Naji was amazing last year at hitting that Villanova style game winner, but it doesn't mean that's the only person to have that shot. I commend Scruggs, Johnson, Kunkel whoever else, in having the mindset to trust the teammate with the best look to knock it down.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    UConn guard James Bouknight has had elbow surgery and is out indefinitely.
    Wow thats big news. Wonder how long he is out. I would suspect a while with elbow surgery.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Wow thats big news. Wonder how long he is out. I would suspect a while with elbow surgery.
    Wow is right. Was Possibly BE POY
    2023 Sweet 16

“Past performance is no guarantee of future success.”

“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”

There’s a lot of different ways to look at things like this. MJ always said that he missed more last second shots than almost anyone else ever took, even though he is famous for taking them and making them. But I’ll take an open shot over a forced shot any day. The odds are that someone shooting an open shot is more likely to make it, than someone shooting a forced shot. No matter when it occurs in the game. The key for me is more along the lines of who is taking that shot. X is fortunate enough THIS year to have multiple players that can take, and more importantly make, shots from the outside. I’m happy to see that A) his teammates trusted him enough to throw him the ball, and B) that Jones had the confidence to take the shot when given the opportunity. Great players elevate their game when the pressure mounts, lesser players shrink from it. I think Jones has a chance to be a great player. In fact, I think that all 3 of the freshman trio have a good chance to have great careers at X and am excited to see what they do over the rest of this year, and the next 4. I’d trust any of them to take a shot with the game on the line.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 01-14-2021 at 10:15 AM.

"Just like he envisioned, when Jordan caught the ball on the left wing and made a move on his defender, Bryon Russell, Stockton leaked over to help. After Jordan pump-faked and stepped through the double-team, he found Kerr, Stockton’s original assignment, wide-open at the top of the key. Kerr corralled the pass and let fly a 17-foot jumper, which swished through the net to give the Bulls an 88-86 lead with five seconds left."

If Jordan would make a pass, Scruggs should make a pass.