Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    With the thread on the old Message Boards in play here right now, I must note and celebrate that April Fools Day is, appropriately the Birthday of the Ultimate Curmudgeon himself, Mr. Gary Griffin.

I'm sure that today, there will be 18 holes played at the Paradise Country Club, a Guinness or 6 will be raised, and he will be reveling in his Guidance of the Xavier Elite Eight Run, which he will, of course, take 100% credit for.

Happy Birthday you old Bastard. Just make sure you replace your divots and fix your ball marks!
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Yeah, really wish Gary had seen these two years. He would have had a blast

Today would have been birthday 70 for Gary. Rest In Peace friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Today would have been birthday 70 for Gary. Rest In Peace friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for being on top of that. I’m impressed.

RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Thanks for being on top of that. I’m impressed.

RIP.
    I can't take the credit. I was texting with MOR, who reminded me of it.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by letskeepitreal View Post
    Yeah, really wish Gary had seen these two years. He would have had a blast
    He would have had a "blast" on the boards with these past two years.

Some of the exchanges between GG and Snipe and Pablo were pure comedy gold. I miss those days.
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12

Quote Originally Posted by Lamont Sanford View Post
    Some of the exchanges between GG and Snipe and Pablo were pure comedy gold. I miss those days.
    Popcorn, theatre seat worthy.
    X A V I E R

I posted a Memorial to GG in Post #72 on this thread. I'm gonna paste it here, because on the old curmudgeon's 70th birthday, he deserves it.

But in scrolling through this thread, and seeing some of the names that either have been lost, or don't post here anymore make me very sad. I wish they would come back. They added so much color on here. And seeing WKRQ and Pablos Brother on here made me shed a tear. Bob Q, and the McCormicks are all gone, and man does that really bum me out. if some folks still check in here but haven't posted for awhile, PLEASE COME BACK!!

But back to Moose. If you don't know how much that guy meant to many of us, just check out the bench that sits proudly outside of Cintas with a Memorial Plaque to Gary affixed securely. It was our way of making sure that that guy would always remain a part of XU basketball. Every time I come back to Cincy for a game, I make sure I sit my ass on that bench. My way of letting Mr. Negative know who's boss. :-)

My old post.

"I first met Moose on our first day as fellow freshman at Xavier U in 1968. He was a brillo haired (finger in a light socket might describe the do) Greenhorn who attended St. Ignatius HS in south Chicago and was one of the funniest guys I ever met. We bonded- sometimes at Dana's where he tended bar for a time, sometimes at Woody's, sometimes in Corcoran Field and always on the front row courtside at Schmidt Fieldhouse starting with the Freshman game before the varsity- and have been fast friends ever since..although separated by the miles most of the time. Our shared love of the Xavier Musketeers, golf, laughter and a good pint carried us through the years and the advent of Internet Taverns like this made it so much easier to stay in touch. We got back together many times in our combined adopted city of Cincinnati, and every visit was special. I have so many memories of the Great Man and wish that we could have made more, but it's not to be. I'm just glad that we had one more good game of golf together on a beautiful day last fall. To all out there, I just want you to know what a truly superb human being he was.

Finally, it is Ironic that Gary passed away from the same disease that he lost his girlfriend to a number of years ago. The Ironies in his life were numerous--A birthday on April Fools Day for a true comic, Passing away in California rather than his beloved Chicago that he would never leave, and not being able to finally attend a Xavier basketball game in the Windy City after all the years of road trips in the LHS. Gary never mastered golf, but he never stopped trying his best with self deprecating humor and good cheer which is a life lesson all of us can take forward. He would never take a cart on the course-unless the course forced him to-..even last summer when he was struggling. Wasn't a true part of the game to him....and he was "true", not always positive, but true.
    Safe Home my SouthSide Irish Musketeer Pal. I hope you took advantage of the "Angel's Wings Cart" supplied for you. It's a long walk to the Paradise 19th, Buddy."

Safe Home and RIP Moose
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 04-06-2020 at 03:10 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell