Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamont Sanford View Post
    Let me cut right to the chase, Jay Wright once again completely outcoached Mack. He once again made Xavier his bitch.
    It still comes down to execution. If X made their season average from 3, they hit 11 instead of 6. Mack had a perfect set called early in the second half, but Rashid pushed off. It showed that Mack wanted to go inside early in the half, but that's not what happened on the floor. Players still have to make plays.

Sophomore
    I am embarrassed whenever we switch to the 1-3-1. Any well-coached team eats a 1-3-1 for lunch. They can't wait for it. The only reason it was relatively effective last year is because James and Jalen were long and athletic enough to defend and rebound well out of it better than most bigs. Our bigs this year are not nearly that same mold. I really wish we'd stop going to it. It's not a secret weapon anymore, we don't have the personnel to run it.

Quote Originally Posted by ammtd34 View Post
    It still comes down to execution. If X made their season average from 3, they hit 11 instead of 6. Mack had a perfect set called early in the second half, but Rashid pushed off. It showed that Mack wanted to go inside early in the half, but that's not what happened on the floor. Players still have to make plays.
    And still lose by 14.

Sophomore
    What did everyone think of Jay Wright's postgame remarks? He said something like he admires that X goes guns blazing when they're losing and tries to make the big plays and either run you out o fthe gym or get run out of the gym.

Sophomore
    There are ways to incentivize execution. Even bad payers can execute.

I guess I fall into the other camp; how do we expect these guys to continually take their defenders off the dribble and create? I know I'm beating a dead horse, and I would only have very general suggestions for change, but what does executing our offense mean? Passing until someone just gets open? It's hard to "execute" when the defense can preempt your offense.

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    What did everyone think of Jay Wright's postgame remarks? He said something like he admires that X goes guns blazing when they're losing and tries to make the big plays and either run you out o fthe gym or get run out of the gym.
    Hi folks, obviously will be a different story at cintas.

Jay's comments were interesting. Ironically, X's woes from 3 last night were exactly the same stat nova had against Oklahoma in their first game last year. 6/32, right? Your team, as crazy as this sounds, still makes me nervous. Ed and trevon are studs, they got taken out of the flow last night. It is about adjustments- you already know that. Good luck in Indy.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by novachap View Post
    Hi folks, obviously will be a different story at cintas.

Jay's comments were interesting. Ironically, X's woes from 3 last night were exactly the same stat nova had against Oklahoma in their first game last year. 6/32, right? Your team, as crazy as this sounds, still makes me nervous. Ed and trevon are studs, they got taken out of the flow last night. It is about adjustments- you already know that. Good luck in Indy.
    I agree. If I remember correctly, last year we had miserable three point shooting/field goal shooting at the pavilion as well and turned it around. I'm just wondering what other people thought about that. It was interesting because to me it sounded like a backhanded compliment. If the opposing coach openly makes observations about your playing style after running you out of the gym it's usually not a good thing.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mirabilelectu View Post
    I guess I fall into the other camp; how do we expect these guys to continually take their defenders off the dribble and create? I know I'm beating a dead horse, and I would only have very general suggestions for change, but what does executing our offense mean? Passing until someone just gets open? It's hard to "execute" when the defense can preempt your offense.
    Quite frankly I don't know either because outside of Sumner (who likes to turn the ball over quite a bit), we don't have anyone really athletic enough to take guys off the dribble. JP can do a little, myles can do a little, but the majority of the team can't especially against the good teams. There isn't a Josh Hart, Jalen Brunson or Kris Jenkins on this team. Our personnel makes us pretty limited offensively. If X isn't shooting well from outside, with the inconsistency of the inside game, there isn't much X can do.

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    I agree. If I remember correctly, last year we had miserable three point shooting/field goal shooting at the pavilion as well and turned it around. I'm just wondering what other people thought about that. It was interesting because to me it sounded like a backhanded compliment. If the opposing coach openly makes observations about your playing style after running you out of the gym it's usually not a good thing.
    I think his comments were interesting and Wright gives an incredible amount of respect to Xavier (at least publicly) considering what the head to head has looked like. No point playing to lose by 10.