Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uniforms

Quote Originally Posted by RyanblockXU View Post
    Xavier one of their top schools but still not at the top top. Notice how duke, uconn, UK and Michigan state state are wearing the new Nike jersey cut.

I actually hate the new cut tho
    Mario Mercurio actually touched on this in a Dana & Victory podcast back in October. I think it was Episode 94 if you're interested in checking it out. To echo what you mentioned, Xavier is the the "NTS Promo" tier for Nike which is the highest tier a school can be in without winning a national championship. The highest tier is reserved for schools who have won a title and is called "Elite" or "Hyper Elite" or some other bullshit marketing term along those lines. Mario did mention that X will be getting new uniforms next year and that they would probably be in the vein of a smaller/sleeker cut as opposed to the parachutes we wear now. It's all based on the movement to have less fabric or material to optimize the aerodynamics. He mentioned that the design itself won't drastically change and whatever the new design is it will be unique to Xavier. Which brings me to my angry white guy rant about our current shorts...

I freaking ABHOR our current shorts. The color is fine. The design is cool. Hell, I don't even care about how they look on our players. It all boils down to how the merchandise wears on a consumer like myself. I'm 5'9" (5'10" in the media guide) and about 180 lbs. I typically wear medium sized gym shorts regardless of the brand. I purchased a pair of medium X replica shorts a couple of years ago and without ever putting them on could tell I'd look like MC Hammer whilst wearing them. So I exchanged for a small thinking those would be more my speed. Wrong! Even the freaking small hangs about 2" below my knee cap and unless you think an early 30's white guy walking around like he's a member of the Fab Five is cool, these things look ridiculous. I literally have had these shorts for over a year and haven't even cut off the tags. I hope next year's model takes my concerns into account. Hopefully Mario read my letter.
    White sheets. Yellow tape. Closed case. Zip 'em up.

Quote Originally Posted by ReturnOfTheMack View Post
    Mario Mercurio actually touched on this in a Dana & Victory podcast back in October. I think it was Episode 94 if you're interested in checking it out. To echo what you mentioned, Xavier is the the "NTS Promo" tier for Nike which is the highest tier a school can be in without winning a national championship. The highest tier is reserved for schools who have won a title and is called "Elite" or "Hyper Elite" or some other bullshit marketing term along those lines. Mario did mention that X will be getting new uniforms next year and that they would probably be in the vein of a smaller/sleeker cut as opposed to the parachutes we wear now. It's all based on the movement to have less fabric or material to optimize the aerodynamics. He mentioned that the design itself won't drastically change and whatever the new design is it will be unique to Xavier. Which brings me to my angry white guy rant about our current shorts...

I freaking ABHOR our current shorts. The color is fine. The design is cool. Hell, I don't even care about how they look on our players. It all boils down to how the merchandise wears on a consumer like myself. I'm 5'9" (5'10" in the media guide) and about 180 lbs. I typically wear medium sized gym shorts regardless of the brand. I purchased a pair of medium X replica shorts a couple of years ago and without ever putting them on could tell I'd look like MC Hammer whilst wearing them. So I exchanged for a small thinking those would be more my speed. Wrong! Even the freaking small hangs about 2" below my knee cap and unless you think an early 30's white guy walking around like he's a member of the Fab Five is cool, these things look ridiculous. I literally have had these shorts for over a year and haven't even cut off the tags. I hope next year's model takes my concerns into account. Hopefully Mario read my letter.

I just wonder if the baggy shorts will always be a staple of the Xavier uniform. I hate them. And them even worse when they are coupled with a really tight jersey and then baggy ass shorts. Its not an iconic look

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    It has to be so much more comfortable though with less restriction around the shoulder.
    Yeah probably. I don't love the look. Looks too similar to a tank top. When the home teams are wearing white looks like they are wearing wifebeaters. But, it's still better than the sleeved Adidas jersey, or the last Reebok jerseys we had in Skip's final year at X.

Quote Originally Posted by THRILLHOUSE View Post
    Yeah probably. I don't love the look. Looks too similar to a tank top. When the home teams are wearing white looks like they are wearing wifebeaters. But, it's still better than the sleeved Adidas jersey, or the last Reebok jerseys we had in Skip's final year at X.
    True, and I always think back to how dumb I thought the original Syracuse/OSU/Florida tight jersey/baggy shorts combo looked, but a few years later it was standard and the old non-fitted jerseys looked horrible (see Dayton's Elite 8 run).

I like our current uniforms ok, but we need a change. We have had these uniforms since 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by kyxu View Post
    I like our current uniforms ok, but we need a change. We have had these uniforms since 2010.
    I don't really like a lot of clutter on uniforms though, like those Baylor, UC, etc. adidas jerseys a few years ago that were like neon with the tiger stripes and all that jazz really threw me off, I enjoy the simplicity of our uniforms, I just agree with what everyone says above, that they could fit better (baggy shorts mainly, and I'm only 23) I love our black jerseys though, I know that's always a touchy subject, but the murdered out look is one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    I don't really like a lot of clutter on uniforms though, like those Baylor, UC, etc. adidas jerseys a few years ago that were like neon with the tiger stripes and all that jazz really threw me off, I enjoy the simplicity of our uniforms, I just agree with what everyone says above, that they could fit better (baggy shorts mainly, and I'm only 23) I love our black jerseys though, I know that's always a touchy subject, but the murdered out look is one of my favorites.
    Yeah but no one makes jerseys like that anymore, especially Nike. Look at the other Nike schools and how simple the overall designs are. Some of the shorts like UNC or OSU may have a little extra stuff on the sides but everything is very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Yeah I like the plainness and classiness of our unis. They're not too "in you face," full of decal like other teams' uniforms. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Yeah but no one makes jerseys like that anymore, especially Nike. Look at the other Nike schools and how simple the overall designs are. Some of the shorts like UNC or OSU may have a little extra stuff on the sides but everything is very simple.
    I know, that's pretty much what I was getting at though, I really enjoy the "sleekness" of the Nike Uniforms.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 23 View Post
    Yeah I like the plainness and classiness of our unis. They're not too "in you face," full of decal like other teams' uniforms. Plain and simple.
    Yes, I think the only thing I would change is maybe the back design, but I think the font looks great, I love the X on our shorts, the color-ways are great.. minus the grey. I'm still not sold on the grey. But even then, I think if they fix the cut of the shorts, that's all they'd have to do to make me happy.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    The unis actually debuted for the 2011-12 season. The season where #ZipEmUp became a thing.