Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Effort is necessary for good focus, but it is not sufficient, as focus most definitely requires ability. It's a skill just like so many other things. Some people have a stronger ability to focus on a task that others, plain and simple. Like any ability, it can be be improved with practice and experience, though. Naji at his best is intense and more focused than most, but it will take practice/experience and the discipline that comes with it to make that a more consistent thing. It was probably easier to maintain focus when his role was smaller last year. Concerning the discipline from experience, the consequences of inattentiveness seems to have been a wakeup call after that SDSU game, as he and the team in general were much more attentive against Illinois.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    It's all of the above...some players cant or wont defend because they are lazy and it's not as glamorous as offense. I dont know for sure in regards to naji but defending takes a crap ton of effort and is exhausting both mentally and physically...some players just dont want to.
    You know, as I think of it, you're right. There have definitely been issues of effort with Naji. Acting like it's all about effort is wrong, but the problems with effort contribute to the overall issues.

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    Effort is necessary for good focus, but it is not sufficient, as focus most definitely requires ability. It's a skill just like so many other things. Some people have a stronger ability to focus on a task that others, plain and simple. Like any ability, it can be be improved with practice and experience, though. Naji at his best is intense and more focused than most, but it will take practice/experience and the discipline that comes with it to make that a more consistent thing. It was probably easier to maintain focus when his role was smaller last year. Concerning the discipline from experience, the consequences of inattentiveness seems to have been a wakeup call after that SDSU game, as he and the team in general were much more attentive against Illinois.

IF we're being honest, the defensive wasn't all that good against an undisciplined team like Illinois.

We won that game with rebounding, and getting our offense to click.

Illinois still scored a point per possession. They still made 11 3's at a 48% clip. They missed a lot of shots at the rim that they shouldn't have however we did defend the paint pretty well, but thats never really been our issue.

Perimeter defense was still an issue. They only difference is; Illinois wasn't good enough to beat us despite that.

I'm not going hang my hat on that performance. They only thing different about that game and others is that we won and we did it because we shared the ball and took much better shots.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanblockXU View Post
    IF we're being honest, the defensive wasn't all that good against an undisciplined team like Illinois.

We won that game with rebounding, and getting our offense to click.

Illinois still scored a point per possession. They still made 11 3's at a 48% clip. They missed a lot of shots at the rim that they shouldn't have however we did defend the paint pretty well, but thats never really been our issue.

Perimeter defense was still an issue. They only difference is; Illinois wasn't good enough to beat us despite that.

I'm not going hang my hat on that performance. They only thing different about that game and others is that we won and we did it because we shared the ball and took much better shots.
    I'm not saying the defense was great in that performance, but I don't think effort and focus were the major issues, which is different from previous games. The ball screen defense was the major issue there (together with some instances of over-helping that were at least less common than before). Illinois' handoff screen with the guard cutting to the hoop as he receives the ball was a tricky action to cover, and the team was inconsistent in communication and execution. Still, it wasn't a bad defensive performance; Illinois got a decent number of their points, including threes, off turnovers and second shots from offensive rebounds.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanblockXU View Post
    They only thing different about that game and others is that we won and we did it because we shared the ball and took much better shots.
    That and because Illinois is kinda shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    That and because Illinois is kinda shitty.
    They came very close to knocking off ND last night for what it is worth...........but agree they will be at best middle of he road in the Big 10

I might be the only one here, but I will continue to say Harden is not good. Apparently all he can contribute is rainbow 3's. He has a grand total of THREE rebounds and 1 assist in 83 minutes. Has only two made 2 pointers in 23 FGA. Kennedy is clearly outplaying him and should see more floor time over Elias going forward.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 11-29-2018 at 04:03 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Harden took two longer threes and one wide open he should have hit. Harden is still playing like a freshman. I don’t think he is bad, he just didn’t improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not going back to check, but I'd wager it's been a long time since we've had a game with only 3 TO's.
    I'm constantly at a loss for words when I see sloppy play, and sloppy passes that result in TO's.
    So, I'm going to assume Steele has cracked down on this aspect of the game with very good results.
    We'll see as time goes by.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    I might be the only one here, but I will continue to say Harden is not good. Apparently all he can contribute is rainbow 3's. He has a grand total of THREE rebounds and 1 assist in 83 minutes. Has only two made 2 pointers in 23 FGA. Kennedy is clearly outplaying him and should see more floor time over Elias going forward.
    He has played decent defense. Also saying he has two made 2 pointers in 23 FGAs without mentioning the 8 made threes in those 23 FGAs makes no sense. He's 2-6 from 2 and 8-17 from 3. He has scored 29 points on 23 shots which is solid for a bench player. I think overall he's been fine. Kennedy is better defensively and has more upside offensively. He's already been consistently playing more minutes than Elias and will most likely continue to do so. I'm more interested in whether or not Welage can win back a lot of the minutes he lost to Kennedy and Elias.