Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Dontaie Allen

Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Sophomore
    Damnit. Biggest pain about a situation like this is our coaches being correct in their evaluation before anyone else, only to see our coaches' be proven right and it bite them.

Sophomore
    Kinda feels like he's being taken just for cal to get fans off his back about getting kentucky guys. They're already recruiting over him with kahlil whitney in his own class and he'll doubtless be recruited over again next year. I am bitter. Spread the love, Cal.

I am not surprised by this. He grew up a Kentucky fan, with only a dream that he would ever be good enough to play for them. Cal telling him that he is, is all that he needed to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Cal may have great NBA connections, but will he be as dedicated to making sure his kids get a good education as Steele will be? I think not.
    If this kid or any kid that commits to Coach Cal is determined to get their degree, Calipari will do everything in his power to assist In the process. It’s not like he is going to ignore a kids desire to get his education.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Junior
    Best of luck to Dontaie - can't be upset with him one iota given the circumstances. Can't blame a kid going to his dream school that simply hadn't offered until a later date.
    zip em up

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    If this kid or any kid that commits to Coach Cal is determined to get their degree, Calipari will do everything in his power to assist In the process. It’s not like he is going to ignore a kids desire to get his education.
    Yeah I agree, Cal may be scummy, but he does help these kids in whatever way they want, if he didn't he wouldn't be getting high level recruits, word of mistreatment travels around. But agree with the sentiments here, good luck to Dontaie, if it was his dream to play for UK, he reached his goal, and that's great for him. It does suck we get in early on these high talents and can't close, but Xavier is still an attractive destination, we're just not the UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas' of the world, which though sucks, is just a fact of life.

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    Of course Cal is not going to ignore a kids desire to get an education.That’snot what I’m saying. Though the place has positioned itself (to recruits) more like “the Cal factory to get kids to the NBA” than it has a university where pushing kids to get a good education is as much the mission as is a commitment to get several kids to the NBA each year.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Xavier is still an attractive destination, we're just not the UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas' of the world, which though sucks, is just a fact of life.

You’re right ... our school isn’t known for helping its players cheat on test to get them eligible like one of the universities above got nailed for doing and our school actually gives out scholarships for kids to get a education- not for a one year NBA audition like another school listed above.

It’s a slippery slope some of these schools have started down and I am proud our school has not gone down either of those roads.

I am not knocking Dontaie for choosing Kentucky. I just have never seen X as a “less than” school. I see my alma mater as an very good school with an excellent basketball program that just continues to keep getting better.

If a kid has all of the necessary skills to play in the NBA, he is going to get there whether he is at a school like X or Kentucky or Duke or Kansas or Gonzaga or Villanova. They are all very good schools that get plenty of exposure. X basketball has continued its climb of success throug every conference it joined and it continues to reach new heights. That is damn impressive.