24/7 explains their STAR ratings

https://247sports.com/college/basket...rts-149363328/

Thought this was a good explanation and also points out that some of the ratings are based purely on POTENTIAL and not necessarily relate to where a player is when they start college. The fact that they put 5 Stars in the category of those that are one and done players and/or 1st found draft picks might somewhat explain why X has yet to land any of these players. I don’t believe X, as a University or as a BB program, is inclined to go after players that only project to be there for one year, unless they are graduates from another university. Interesting read.

Yea I would have to disagree that X doesn’t pursue 5 stars/one and done players. If X were to land one the staff would be ecstatic, it just hasn’t happened yet.

I don't follow recruiting too much (unless I can go see someone like Kaiser Gates or Cesare Edwards).

But when I look on Verbal Commits (maybe not a good source?) we don't have any offers out to any 5 star players per their ratings.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Yea I would have to disagree that X doesn’t pursue 5 stars/one and done players. If X were to land one the staff would be ecstatic, it just hasn’t happened yet.
    Read my post again....I didn’t say that they DON’T, I said that they aren’t INCLINED. Which means they don’t spend a lot of time and effort on landing that level of player. I’m sure that if one landed in their laps they would be happy to have him, and wouldn’t tell him no. But I don’t think they make recruiting 5 stars a priority either.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Read my post again....I didn’t say that they DON’T, I said that they aren’t INCLINED. Which means they don’t spend a lot of time and effort on landing that level of player. I’m sure that if one landed in their laps they would be happy to have him, and wouldn’t tell him no. But I don’t think they make recruiting 5 stars a priority either.
    Hm ok. I guess I still don’t get what you’re saying... why wouldn’t they be inclined to go after the most talented players? I think they are and just get shot down, as most schools do. Looking at the offers according to 247 in the 2022 class it says X has offered two 5 stars: Jaden Bradley (7) and Scoot Henderson (17). Heck, they offered Jonathan Kuminga last year... shoot for the stars, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Hm ok. I guess I still don’t get what you’re saying... why wouldn’t they be inclined to go after the most talented players? I think they are and just get shot down, as most schools do. Looking at the offers according to 247 in the 2022 class it says X has offered two 5 stars: Jaden Bradley (7) and Scoot Henderson (17). Heck, they offered Jonathan Kuminga last year... shoot for the stars, right?
    What I’m saying is that I don’t think, based on the players that X is known to have offered and by the players names I see that X is interested in or is interacting with, that X has much interest in one and done players. Further, that if most 5 Stars are one and done players then that might be one reason that X does not pursue 5 Stars in the same numbers that they do 4 and 3 Star players.

Ok... I don’t know all the intricacies of recruiting but I generally believe that there has to be some mutual interest for them to offer a player and pursue. So while they may not be investing as much time in 5 stars, it’s probably not due to lack of interest from the coach’s perspective. More talent = better chance to win, even if it’s one and done.

They probably recruit the best players possible that they think they have a realistic shot at landing.

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    They probably recruit the best players possible that they think they have a .....realistic.....shot at landing.
    Exactly. Unlike the fantasy world of the internet, THEY have to be realistic. :)