Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Uconn

The current popularity of soccer in the US is another reason to hate young people. :)

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Or have 11 teams, keep the round robin, and have everybody schedule for good OOC results. We're at 75% this year.
    Sounds like a plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    Sounds like a plan.

+1.

Win percentage might not be that big a of a thing anymore. Winning is still very necessary of course, but a conference will no longer get a cumulative effect by simply having a high OOC win percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    The current popularity of soccer in the US is another reason to hate young people. :)
    I know that you are being sarcastic here, but......

You are aware that Xavier has had a men’s team for almost 50 years now? And a women’s team for almost as long? That some of us that played the sport back in those dark ages now have grandchildren playing it? That the women’s National team has sold out major professional football stadiums around the US? Now I LOVE football, I played it in grade school and high school, and am a huge fan of it on the college level. But I also played soccer, coached HS soccer, and have had a daughter play it through HS and have a granddaughter playing it in rec leagues now. It is very possible to love BOTH and to support BOTH. The fact that soccer has become more popular over the last 50 years does not mean that it wasn’t popular before. It’s become more nationwide, but in areas like Cincinnati, St. Louis, NY, etc, that have larger populations of people from Europe and South America, it has been popular for decades. Hugely popular in fact. That’s one of the real basic reasons that FC Cincinnati has taken off like it has. People here didn’t have to learn to love soccer, or they don’t have to be young to love soccer. The love of the sport here, and in many other parts of the country, is multi-generational.

I'm sure there have been people playing soccer in Cincinnati for years. And I am sure there were some nerds who used to follow European soccer even. And i know Xavier has had a soccer team for a lot of years that no one has really cared about (like the volleyball, tennis, swimming and baseball teams no one really cares about).

But I didn't have to hear about soccer if I didn't want to before. And now it's harder to avoid. Not a big deal, really. Just a minor annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I'm sure there have been people playing soccer in Cincinnati for years. And I am sure there were some nerds who used to follow European soccer even. And i know Xavier has had a soccer team for a lot of years that no one has really cared about (like the volleyball, tennis, swimming and baseball teams no one really cares about).

But I didn't have to hear about soccer if I didn't want to before. And now it's harder to avoid. Not a big deal, really. Just a minor annoyance.

Guess everyone has things that they care about, but that don’t necessarily have appeal to everyone.

Always with the negative vibes...

Agree that different strokes for different folks. I'm just old manning about how it affects me. And my vibes are perfectly fine. Far from negative.

I致e never played soccer but for some reason, 4 or 5 years ago, I got into English Premier League. If I知 home on Saturday or Sunday mornings during that season, I値l watch whatever games are on. As a result, I知 now a fan of FC Cincinnati. I知 also getting up there in years (early 60s), so I知 not really the target demographic for soccer in the US.

Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

They may cut "some" sports. Maybe football? (that's a joke there)

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ng-some-sports
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.