Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

When will College Sports start up again

Heard of one college that is switching back to Quarters. They have told their students that the first quarter will be online. Second quarter will be determined at a later date. This obviously means that they will not be having fall sports though.
    Balls of Steele!!

It all depends on how this limited “reopening” of the economy goes. If we don’t see a big jump in positive cases and deaths when people start back doing things like going to the gym, shopping, traveling, eating a restaurants, then we will likely have college football start back up in late September/ early October and play a more limited schedule. BUT, if all H**L breaks loose, then I can see them cancelling in-person school and sporting events until a vaccine is created and widely distributed...make that 1-2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    It all depends on how this limited “reopening” of the economy goes. If we don’t see a big jump in positive cases and deaths when people start back doing things like going to the gym, shopping, traveling, eating a restaurants, then we will likely have college football start back up in late September/ early October and play a more limited schedule. BUT, if all H**L breaks loose, then I can see them cancelling in-person school and sporting events until a vaccine is created and widely distributed...make that 1-2 years.
    Wait until they require testing every other day! There's your spike in positive cases and it will never end... Until there's a vaccine!
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy, we got tests!!!
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Not until we achieve 1 of the following:
    - Medically proven vaccine
    - Medically proven treatment
    - Herd immunity with medically proven zero reinfection rate

We’re not particularly close to any of these

Here is my completely random and outlandish prediction....

By the fall, we’ll start seeing statistics that will show that 18-22 year olds have the same probability of dying from Covid as they do dying from the team bus crashing on the way to the game. Games will play in empty gyms with remote announcers. NCAA will allow staffs with older assistants to watch from home and communicate remotely during the games. This will cause initial controversy but will then become the norm as teams scramble to find older retired coaches to watch from home, break down tape and relay recommendations in real time. Xavier will then hire Pete Gillen as an assistant coach.

This is just my own speculation, but I don't think college sports will be played at all this Fall. I don't know if they'll try and move football, volleyball, soccer, etc to the Spring. It's feasible because other than football (and I guess even sort of football) they all have non-championship seasons in the spring. I don't know if they'll just say 'Forget it. We'll start back up next year.' But, I do not think there will be any college sports this fall.

HOPEFULLY winter sports will be able to start up. But I wouldn't even bank on that just yet.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    This is just my own speculation, but I don't think college sports will be played at all this Fall. I don't know if they'll try and move football, volleyball, soccer, etc to the Spring. It's feasible because other than football (and I guess even sort of football) they all have non-championship seasons in the spring. I don't know if they'll just say 'Forget it. We'll start back up next year.' But, I do not think there will be any college sports this fall.

HOPEFULLY winter sports will be able to start up. But I wouldn't even bank on that just yet.
    That would be a disaster. They will find a way to play it. It might be limited fans spread out, but they will play. No reason not to. The kids are of no risk. And its not like the athletes are hanging out with the at risk population. Where my son plays they expect to be back in June and the college president announced that classes will resume in the fall on campus. Of course things can change. Iowa announced yesterday that practices will resume June 1st. Too much push will come if they try to cancel it. The amount of money lost would be devastating. At some point you can't keep holding the country hostage. I mean if we are waiting for a vaccine then you would have to cancel two years worth of sports.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    That would be a disaster. They will find a way to play it. It might be limited fans spread out, but they will play. No reason not to. The kids are of no risk. And its not like the athletes are hanging out with the at risk population. Where my son plays they expect to be back in June and the college president announced that classes will resume in the fall on campus. Of course things can change. Iowa announced yesterday that practices will resume June 1st. Too much push will come if they try to cancel it. The amount of money lost would be devastating. At some point you can't keep holding the country hostage. I mean if we are waiting for a vaccine then you would have to cancel two years worth of sports.
    Two years? They have already approved Remdesivir for treatment (for emergency use only at this point). Supposedly it reduces recovery time by 31% according to early testing.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...use-remdesivir

And AstraZeneca is so confident the Oxford University vaccine will be successful (it’s not new, it’s an adaptation of an existing vaccine as I understand it) that they are beginning production even before trials are completed.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-ce...9-vaccine.html

Don’t get me wrong, I’m NOT saying we have this thing beaten, but the rapid progress is pretty damn impressive to me. Credible hope for both a treatment and a vaccine much faster than original estimates. I’m not trying to play a doctor on the internet, but I find this encouraging. What can be done when the pressure is on is on! Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by xu82; 05-01-2020 at 07:06 PM.

Without a working vaccine, I don’t think there will be any fans for pro sports this year. I’ll also be very surprised if there are fall or winter college sports played at all. If there aren’t students on campus, can you really have sports teams on campus? While unlikely, should a student athlete get sick and die at a school where they only let the athletes back on campus, open the checkbook, because you’re paying a big assed settlement.

So far, everyone is taking the overly cautious route. Whether it’s actually necessary is a completely different issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Supporting Member
    Georgia announced they will have students back on campus this summer and expect to start school as planned in the fall with students on campus. Unless there is a spike in hospitalizations and deaths in the next month, schools will be back and sports will be played in the fall. Whether or not their are fans is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by JEHARDI View Post
    Georgia announced they will have students back on campus this summer and expect to start school as planned in the fall with students on campus. Unless there is a spike in hospitalizations and deaths in the next month, schools will be back and sports will be played in the fall. Whether or not their are fans is another story.
    I REALLY hope you're right. But....

All ten FBS conference commissioners have basically said that they won't play any fall sports unless all the students are back. They've said that publicly both collectively and as individuals. Bob Bolwsby said the Big 12 wouldn't play unless all students were back. Hell, all ten of them told the Vice President of the United States that.

Playing in empty stadiums is far less likely in college than it is in the pros. A lot of presidents don't want to do it. Gene Smith at Ohio State has indicated that he doesn't want to do it, and I believe that he is far from alone on that. The thing is that playing in empty stadiums doesn't really do anything to protect the players. Unless fans rush the field, the players don't really come into contact with them.

But, I think the biggest thing is this. Schools aren't going to want to spend money on football if they aren't even sure if there is going to be football. If they are able to determine that football will go on uninterrupted, then great! Game on! But if they aren't sure, and they run the risk of losing revenue from not playing, then they aren't going to want to devote any revenue or resources to it and run the risk of it being cancelled anyway. All campuses are going to be stretched very thin as it is, and they may look for ways to suspend athletics in the fall and try and save money by furloughing coaches and staff. Simply put, if presented with the question of whether or not to spend tens of millions of dollars on something that may not even happen, or coming up with a way to not have to do that, then they may look to go the route of Option B. I know coaches have contracts, but apparently if football is suspended then a lot of schools will be able to get around having to pay them.
    Last edited by xubrew; 05-03-2020 at 12:02 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White