Page 82 of 86 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    I think this is the case to an extent. We get good guys but not the NBA ready player. Of course this program was not built on that and getting those kids guarantees nothing... look at LSU 2 years ago. I really think X needs to explore the international scene to get to the next level
    Few does that. I like the idea, but I feel like the second tier teams like us have a chance now when we hit on a good class. We take that class all four years and fill in gaps with grad transfers. Some coaches hate them, but they are making basketball competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    Pleaase name for us the programs that went Internatinal to get them to the "next level."
    Gonzaga, has had International players for past 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Gonzaga, has had International players for past 10 years.
    But they've been at their level for the last 15/20 years
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Junior
    Gonzaga was at the same level as X until they made the FF. They have not been at a different level for 20 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Gonzaga was at the same level as X until they made the FF. They have not been at a different level for 20 yrs.
    This. The only difference is that they made the Final Four, and beat us to get there, if that game goes differently, we wouldn't even have this conversation. I think international players are a good option if necessary, but in reality most of them are playing for club teams overseas. You think a Luka Doncic type of player wants to come to a new country to earn zero dollars when he can live comfortably at 18 back home? He's going to get exposure either way if he's good enough with how much the NBA is scouting Europe these days, it's just hard to convince a team transcending talent that he should come to the states unless his family is well off, or he really wants that experience in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    Pleaase name for us the programs that went Internatinal to get them to the "next level."
    Do you watch college ball outside of X games? You do the research. But multiple programs have looked overseas to make their team stronger. I'm surprised we haven't a long time ago.

Sophomore
    Xavier tried once in the international market and got burned; Alexander Vezenkov. He committed and then signed a pro contract in Greece instead, and eventually in 2017 was a second round NBA pick.

I know mining the international market can be fruitful, but you need connections and it really bursts the recruiting budget. If you look at Saint Mary's, they have an Aussie connection. It has done them well but it hasn't made them NCAA tournament contenders every year.
    “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” -Michael Jordan

There are a lot of obsticals to international recruiting.....cost is a major one. Lack of contacts and lack of qualified candidates is another. Watching the recruiting sites for JUCO and 4-year colleges, I see a lot of international players going the JUCO Route initially, or D-2 and even D-3. I don’t see many going straight into major D-1. Doesn’t mean there aren’t some, but there aren’t many. There seem to be far more D-1 ready players just in the states of Georgia or Texas than there is in the whole of Europe. Why go to Europe when you can go watch a tourney like the Peach Jam in Atlanta, and see hundreds of kids (some of whom are international players here at Prep schools) all in one week? If Xavier can just land 5 of the players that they offers out to right now for 2019, they will have a great class coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    There are a lot of obsticals to international recruiting.....cost is a major one. Lack of contacts and lack of qualified candidates is another. Watching the recruiting sites for JUCO and 4-year colleges, I see a lot of international players going the JUCO Route initially, or D-2 and even D-3. I don’t see many going straight into major D-1. Doesn’t mean there aren’t some, but there aren’t many. There seem to be far more D-1 ready players just in the states of Georgia or Texas than there is in the whole of Europe. Why go to Europe when you can go watch a tourney like the Peach Jam in Atlanta, and see hundreds of kids (some of whom are international players here at Prep schools) all in one week? If Xavier can just land 5 of the players that they offers out to right now for 2019, they will have a great class coming in.
    I would be ecstatic with 5. Happy with 3. Disappointed with 2.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    I would be ecstatic with 5. Happy with 3. Disappointed with 2.
    I agree.