Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    I’m not sure having two bigs on the floor at the same time is the answer for our poor perimeter D.

This was strictly matchup orientated. Running Hankins and Jones our there against the better perimeter teams is not going to result in good things IMO.
    Yep. Georgetown was a good opponent to face with two bigs. There are a couple other opponents where it could work well too, but most Big East teams are perimeter-oriented.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I advocate staying with it for now. It's the only successful thing that happened this season. How about the opponent adapting to Xavier for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Go Golston View Post
    I advocate staying with it for now. It's the only successful thing that happened this season. How about the opponent adapting to Xavier for a change.
    They also had two bigs for a good portion of that 39-22 deficit to start the game. Also, the only successful thing to happen this season? Both beating Illinois on a neutral court and beating DePaul on the road are better wins than beating Georgetown at home.

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    Both beating Illinois on a neutral court and beating DePaul on the road are better wins than beating Georgetown at home.
    Georgetown won at Illinois. But damn, this is a really sad list of accomplishments. :(

The last 25 minutes of the Georgetown game are definitely the best 25 minutes of basketball from Xavier all year.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Georgetown won at Illinois. But damn, this is a really sad list of accomplishments. :(

The last 25 minutes of the Georgetown game are definitely the best 25 minutes of basketball from Xavier all year.
    Agreed, it is a sorry list, and the last 25 minutes are probably the best Xavier minutes this year. Some people are just acting like the fact that two bigs played together just under half the game implies that it's the cause of the win. A lot of the great run after the miserable start came with a normal lineup. Actually, you can tie more of the comeback to Elias Harden playing, as he didn't get in until about halfway through the first half, then played most of the remaining game. Again, though, it's not a simple correlation equals causation situation. The team as a whole just played better too.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Go Golston View Post
    When your perimeter shooting is as poor as Xavier's is this year the opponents can adjust to anything they try to do. Xavier's only chance to improve is for somebody to miraculously start shooting well from outside and make opponents take it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by xuwin View Post
    When your perimeter shooting is as poor as Xavier's is this year the opponents can adjust to anything they try to do. Xavier's only chance to improve is for somebody to miraculously start shooting well from outside and make opponents take it seriously.
    Sruggs is tied for 8th and Welage is 11th in the BE in 3 pt %.
    Maybe we should design more plays for them?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Sruggs is tied for 8th and Welage is 11th in the BE in 3 pt %.
    Maybe we should design more plays for them?
    Welage gets a lot of plays designed for him, but he's frequently faceguarded. It seems that a lot of defensive game plans for Xavier involve denying the team's most dangerous shooter and challenging everyone else to beat them.

I like the idea of giving Scruggs some more looks, but he honestly needs to shoot it more when he's open. He is great at attacking the closeout but is sometimes to keen to attack a packed defense rather than shoot the fairly open three.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    Welage gets a lot of plays designed for him, but he's frequently faceguarded.

I don't find this to be true very often. On numerous occasions I have seen Welage totally unguarded, and the rest of the team ignores him completely. He could have had many open 3s, but the rest of the team is hell bent on something else. It reminds me of the new kid in school that everyone ignores.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I don't find this to be true very often. On numerous occasions I have seen Welage totally unguarded, and the rest of the team ignores him completely. He could have had many open 3s, but the rest of the team is hell bent on something else. It reminds me of the new kid in school that everyone ignores.
    This.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.