Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    Yes, I can. At least, he's not laterally quick enough to consistently defend on the perimeter. Tyrique can jump high and has impressive fast-twitch muscle, but that doesn't mean he can move his feet fast against a speedy perimeter player.
    And Welage can???? I think Snipe's premise is based on Hankins STARTING with Jones playing the 4 as apposed to what we saw Tuesday night. 1st game with Q back coach started Castlin in a "3" guard line up. I can't see this being the norm going forward, so there will be some type of different combination soon. Zach deserves to start and I think we would be a better team if he does. Castlin and Welage look like perfect 6/7 guys with our roster for now.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 11-15-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    And Welage can? I think Snipe's premise is based on Hankins STARTING with Jones playing the 4 as apposed to what we saw Tuesday night. 1st game with Q back coach started Castlin in a "3" guard line up.
    Welage can't guard ANY position well. He's in the game to be an offensive presence and a three-point threat on a team otherwise lacking knockdown shooters. Your argument here is the equivalent of asserting that it's fine for Justin Martin to guard the 2 because Brad Redford had to. Actually, it's worse than that, because Tyrique is a far more effective defender at the 5 than Martin was at the 3.

You make defensive sacrifices for guys like Welage or Redford. That doesn't mean you start making those sacrifices elsewhere, especially in cases like this where Hankins and Jones in together risks hurting your offense instead of helping it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    Hankins and Jones in together risks hurting your offense instead of helping it.

Unfortunately there is nothing to base this on. This conversation is going in circles. Just put your best 5 players out there and see.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Yes, this seems to be the perception. I personally do not see this as a problem. You can't tell me that Tyrique is not quick/athletic enough to be an effective perimeter defender. In fact, you would think his size and length would make him exceptional but until coach comments on this we'll never know.
    How many extra fouls per game will Ty get defending quicker guys on the perimeter? He doesn't have fouls to give.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Unfortunately there is nothing to base this on. This conversation is going in circles. Just put your best 5 players out there and see.
    I'm confident that Welage with one of them is distinctly better offensively than Hankins and Jones together. I'm also confident that Hankins and Jones together is not going to provide some notable offensive lift over most other normal roster combos. That's pretty easy to see.

"Best 5 players"

That's simplistic because you have to consider how they complement each other or don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    How many extra fouls per game will Ty get defending quicker guys on the perimeter? He doesn't have fouls to give.
    Yep. And it's not like we don't have evidence of Tyrique struggling to defend wings. He's been switched on to them enough for us to see how it works. He's not as bad as Stainbrook or even Farr or Reynolds, but he's hardly good at it either.

I don't necessarily disagree with the argument of "Put your best 5 players out there", but the problem with that argument in this situation is that 2 of your 5 best players play the same one dimensional position, center.

I think I read a post where someone said that Jones could play "power forward", but X doesn't have a power forward in the traditional sense. That position (the 4) plays out on the wing in the Xavier offense. Jones would be useless playing out on the wing on offense.

Would rather experiment with 1 of these guys surrounded by Goodin , Scruggs, Naji and Castlin tbh.
    Run the table.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    Would rather experiment with 1 of these guys surrounded by Goodin , Scruggs, Naji and Castlin tbh.
    They did that already...see the Wisconsin game.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    I haven't had a chance to watch this year. I'm surprised this isn't the most common lineup. Is it depth at G that's preventing this? Or the fact that Q's been missing and Welage getting starts in his "place"?

Edit: Just saw the above...and yeah its their best lineup to run out there and get experience with.