NCAA slashes distribution by $375 million

2023 Sweet 16

Who knows what the VD and the A-10 lost if they went to the FF.
    2023 Sweet 16

Sophomore
    This is a glimpse of what would happen, and rapidly, if the Power Five broke away from the NCAA. That would leave the Big East out also. The football impact is not nearly as material to the smaller conferences as is the basketball, especially the NCAA tournament. It would likely still be to the advantage of the Power Five to retain and stay in the basketball side but it is not that clear what they might do.

It actually isn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Who knows what the VD and the A-10 lost if they went to the FF.
    About $9 million in distribution had they made the Final Four. But...not all at once.

Essentially everyone is feeling this to some degree.

Sophomore
    Kirk Herbstreit doesn’t think NFL or College Football will be played in 2020. That would be devastating to a lot of Athletic departments. https://www.al.com/sports/2020/03/ki...outputType=amp

Quote Originally Posted by Xavgrad08 View Post
    Kirk Herbstreit doesn’t think NFL or College Football will be played in 2020. That would be devastating to a lot of Athletic departments. https://www.al.com/sports/2020/03/ki...outputType=amp
    If it comes back because we didn’t properly quarantine the first time, then it could happen.

Sophomore
    there are so many dominos that could fall. For example, I live in Conn (may move to Cincinnati in a few as my daughters get established in local hospitals now dealing with coronavirus at UC and Mercy) but I just read that University of Bridgeport (a solid D2 in Basketball and Soccer) laid off their entire athletic department (they have a 30 mill endowment). Could layoffs happen at X? Very possible. The Zoo is having layoffs and asking for donations to help feed the animals GIVE FOR FIONA AND PALS . I was kind of retired, substitute teaching in inner city every day(and loving it) now that has gone bye bye until next year (I hope). Tax revenues will be down, social security and Medicare strained. I read on Axios the details "The NCAA men's basketball tournament makes up more than 75% of the organization's annual revenue, so ever since March Madness was canceled, college administrators have been bracing for an economic gut punch,
    Driving the news: The NCAA delivered the blow yesterday, announcing that it will distribute just $225 million to Division I conferences and schools for 2020 — less than half of the $600 million that had originally been budgeted."
    Axios mentioned that there is an 8 billion shortfall in college athletics(takes in 10b and spends 18b) made up by student fees and that could be a target with all these stories about college debt. I know this is a stream of consciousness but this economic situation is as serious as the health situation.
    Sad to say Kaamar Baldwin's 3 pointer is now the least of our problems
    Last edited by whopper; 03-27-2020 at 04:12 PM.

May God bless your girls going right into the "war'. Know it must be scary for you.
    2023 Sweet 16

Sophomore
    thank you. I am jealous of them as I worked 40 yrs in IT with all kinds of disaster recovery drills and actual events but now am merely an observer during the most disruptive time I have ever seen (and I was in 3rd grade when JFK was shot). We communicate constantly as does my wife with them and I hope we are learning every day how to keep safe AND fix this problem. As my prior post said (and I am more of a financial guy) we must get the country back to work..the zoos, the restaurants, stores , stadiums, churches..not on Easter for sure but (maybe ) Cinco de Mayo or Memorial Day. Although most of the posters are lifelong Cincinnati area residents, I only knew of Cincinnati as a sports fan until 7 years ago on accepted students day and have had a great experience with Xavier and Cincinnati and know it very well now.
    Last edited by whopper; 03-27-2020 at 08:22 PM.