Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rural American Stranded in Dial-Up

Link

“Delivering up-to-date broadband service to distant reaches of the U.S. would cost hundreds of billions of dollars, experts estimate, an expense government, industry and consumers haven’t been willing to pay,” explains the item from Jennifer Levitz and Valerie Bauerlein. As a result, high-speed Internet access is either not available or ridiculously expensive in much of the country."

"He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Maybe Musk will solve it. I think he's looking at satellite beamed internet.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

I thought HughesNet was already doing satellite internet. Is it no good?

OK, now that I've read the article I see that Hughes Net just isn't competitive with other Internet services.

But what I REALLY got out of the article is that tiny Parsons, KS has produced Bill Guthridge, the current FCC chairman and the CFO of my business. OK, one of those three isn't like the others, but pretty impressive for a tiny little town like that.

..and even( long distance) rural health care is fading fast, with or without the ObamaCare repeal. Third World Rural 'Murika.
    It's a still great day to be a Muskie, but a sad day to be a supporting member of this board.

I think sometimes we lose track of just how BIG the United States is, from a sheer land-mass area, and how empty it gets between major cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat View Post
    I think sometimes we lose track of just how BIG the United States is, from a sheer land-mass area, and how empty it gets between major cities.
    Those of us who live in Wichita and occasionally drive from here to anywhere else definitely do NOT lost track of that. :)

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Maybe Musk will solve it. I think he's looking at satellite beamed internet.
    He'd better solve it by 2029. That is when I am getting the hell out of Dodge and heading for the boonies.
    No, I be concubining.

That might cut down on your concubining.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    OK, now that I've read the article I see that Hughes Net just isn't competitive with other Internet services.

But what I REALLY got out of the article is that tiny Parsons, KS has produced Bill Guthridge, the current FCC chairman and the CFO of my business. OK, one of those three isn't like the others, but pretty impressive for a tiny little town like that.
    and yet Parsons has dial-up.
    2023 Sweet 16