Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RJ Hampton... Going Overseas?

Deciding to start the clock on his professional career a little early, deciding to play in New Zealand (weird league choice might I add) instead of college. Trying to think of other notable guys that did this, I know Brandon Jennings did and was still drafted 10th overall the following year, what do you guys think, would it be smarter to just go to a college as a mercenary due to the guaranteed exposure you're gonna get to possibly help you earn more money back end, or would you sacrifice that to get $30-40k for a year and get a jump on it?

Sophomore
    This is precisely why I think the NCAA needs to pay the players. The NCAA is now effectively competing with several leagues around the world, and in order to keep players in college I think the NCAA is going to have to pony up a little to attract the best players. Not just for one year, but multiple years. College hoops is at its best when guys stick around 3 and 4 years. Perhaps they can devise a system based on tournament appearances and wins - similar to what the NCAA pays to conferences each year. There could also be compensation based on TV appearances throughout the season.

I don't like the idea of guys making money signing autographs, as has been proposed. Seems like this could very easily be corrupted. Hey, "I'll give you 10k for your autograph if you go to UK", etc... I could see this devolving into a system where the schools with donors who have the biggest pockets would dominate the best recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Deciding to start the clock on his professional career a little early, deciding to play in New Zealand (weird league choice might I add) instead of college. Trying to think of other notable guys that did this, I know Brandon Jennings did and was still drafted 10th overall the following year, what do you guys think, would it be smarter to just go to a college as a mercenary due to the guaranteed exposure you're gonna get to possibly help you earn more money back end, or would you sacrifice that to get $30-40k for a year and get a jump on it?
    He'll be making waaaay more than 30-40k a year next year. Guys that have done this before get a million or two in endorsement deals in their year prior to the NBA draft. He won't get the exposure, but if you dislike school that much, a million or 2 isn't a bad trade off even if it lowers your potential endorsement earnings the following few years.

Don't think he disliked school that much. He had a 1280 on the SAT and a 3.7 gpa. Dad said he turned down a million dollar contract from China. I would guess he has a very good contract and will get a nice shoe deal.
    2023 Sweet 16

I call BS on this story. RJ Hampton has as much chance of playing in New Zealand as Mick Cronin does of getting a top 10 coaching job with a historical program. Oh wait..........

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    He'll be making waaaay more than 30-40k a year next year. Guys that have done this before get a million or two in endorsement deals in their year prior to the NBA draft. He won't get the exposure, but if you dislike school that much, a million or 2 isn't a bad trade off even if it lowers your potential endorsement earnings the following few years.
    I didn't really know the numbers, or the amount that could be offered in a New Zealand league, mainly because I didn't really know the type of financial backing they may have. I totally forgot about the ability to sign an endorsement deal because of skipping the whole NCAA crap, I guess I'm a little more curious of how the pros outweigh the cons, as I can see both options (ie going to college, or signing for a year elsewhere) can be smart. I think personally, I would have picked a college, I think it would be better for development as a player if you're learning from top college coaches, and the exposure of being on ESPN week in and week out would be too good to pass up, not to mention at least having a little bit of a college experience, but I really don't blame anybody for securing their money while they can, nothing is guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by XU_Lou View Post
    This is precisely why I think the NCAA needs to pay the players. The NCAA is now effectively competing with several leagues around the world, and in order to keep players in college I think the NCAA is going to have to pony up a little to attract the best players.
    If you believe that having the best players playing college ball is important to the success of the college game, then I understand your position. However, I don’t think that is necessary in order for the college game to thrive. The best players have always been at the NBA level, yet the interest in college basketball has never been higher. I couldn’t name one single G-league player and have never seen a G-league game.

Bottom line, if the top 20 high school seniors all went pro every year, and never played a minute of college ball, I still believe the college game would still be more interesting and more enjoyable for the vast majority of basketball fans. There would still be stars and there would still be talent. It would still be fun.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    I don't know the numbers, either. But my first thought was he would be making at least that (30-40K) at whichever school he would've gone to. I imagine it is much more like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    If you believe that having the best players playing college ball is important to the success of the college game, then I understand your position. However, I don’t think that is necessary in order for the college game to thrive. The best players have always been at the NBA level, yet the interest in college basketball has never been higher. I couldn’t name one single G-league player and have never seen a G-league game.

Bottom line, if the top 20 high school seniors all went pro every year, and never played a minute of college ball, I still believe the college game would still be more interesting and more enjoyable for the vast majority of basketball fans. There would still be stars and there would still be talent. It would still be fun.
    I agree with this. The increasing TV contracts are institution and media driven, not individual player driven. Hell, the players aren't staying long enough to make a lasting impression anyway. I hope the colleges double down on amateurism.

It's a New Zealand/Australian league.

I think you will see more and more of this now that the payouts are starting to come to light at various schools.

David West is working on Historic Basketball League, https://www.hbleague.com/

I think basketball is going to shift or at least should for the top players, into a academy/senior team system like Europe and European soccer. The NBA and G league should have gone with that set up from the get go.
    Coaches don't make Xavier, Xavier makes coaches.