Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Control

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    As I said.

This is the root. Always has been, but it's never addressed because people can't stand to deal with the fact that their children were terrible to people. It's much easier just to call them crazy.
    You're absolutely correct. Bullying in schools and on social media has a profound (and often tragic) impact on many kids. Very sad.

Supporting Member
    To me, it sounds like a combination of shit parents, mental issues and bullying. Sounds pretty typical.

Guns have always been here, difference is the family unit and social media.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    You are incorrect. Probably before your time. Suicides used to be covered in the local news all the time. Then they found out that these individuals wanted the attention drawn towards their death. After organizing with news outlets not to cover suicides, the suicide rate went down accordingly.
    So what time period are we talking? That time period has a lower suicide rate than today's?
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    How about using armed security?
    Texas Police Say ‘Wrong Decision’ Not to Break Into Classroom During Shooting - Bloomberg

Those cops sucked. Paul Blart would have done better.

Why solve a problem when you can just throw a cop at it? I know we have a lot of legal experts here, can anyone answer if mental illness is a valid legal reason to deny someone a firearm?

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    Why solve a problem when you can just throw a cop at it? I know we have a lot of legal experts here, can anyone answer if mental illness is a valid legal reason to deny someone a firearm?
    Add another layer - the lawyers.

If someone is coocoo for coco puffs, yes, don't give them a gun. We don't need lawyers for that, even though they will start the spinning cycle of semantics just like the gun freaks.

A gun's sole and main purpose is to kill. Guns aren't cars or any other daily thing we use for other useful purposes that could also kill someone. Guns are manufactured to kill things.
    Last edited by drudy23; 05-27-2022 at 01:32 PM.

This clown wouldn't have been considered mentally ill even though we now know that he was. Also, we're in full "stop the stigma" mode right now, which on balance is mostly a good thing, but it's not really a good mode for taking away people's rights.

I think the minimum age to buy a drink is 21, and the same to purchase a handgun from a licensed dealer.
    Yet you can buy an AR, or any other long gun, at 18.
    We do ask 18 year olds to go off to war, so it seems like they should be able to drink I guess, or buy handguns.

But it would be interesting to try a few years with 21 as the purchase age for all guns to see if incidents like this go down.
    Or, reinstate the assault weapons ban that we had a while back.
    In 2004, a ten-year federal ban on assault weapons expired, and since then. mass shootings have tripled. Zusha Elinson, who is writing a history of the bestselling AR-15 military style weapon used in many mass shootings, notes that there were about 400,000 AR-15 style rifles in America before the assault weapons ban went into effect in 1994. Today, there are 20 million.
    Seems like some common sense things might reduce the tragedies that we keep having.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I think the minimum age to buy a drink is 21, and the same to purchase a handgun from a licensed dealer.
    Yet you can buy an AR, or any other long gun, at 18.
    We do ask 18 year olds to go off to war, so it seems like they should be able to drink I guess, or buy handguns.

But it would be interesting to try a few years with 21 as the purchase age for all guns to see if incidents like this go down.
    Or, reinstate the assault weapons ban that we had a while back.

Seems like some common sense things might reduce the tragedies that we keep having.
    Move the voting age to 21 then. I'm fine with that.
    Official XUHoops Resident Legal Scholar.
    (Do not take this seriously)