Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Women's team collapsing again

8 losses in the last 9 games to go from 9-3 to 10-11. Outside of the Michigan game, we have shown no ability to beat a decent team.

Do we have a coaching problem or a talent problem? Or a bit of both?

The scary thing is that we are starting 3 seniors including a very good player in Raeshawn Gaffney. I don't see much hope on the horizon.
    Last edited by cinskyline; 01-28-2017 at 10:51 AM.

We really haven't had good recruiting since McGuff. Perhaps the powers that be at Xavier should take a close look at the Thomas More Coach. He wins consistently and seldom even "takes prisoners"! I realize he's putting teams on the floor that are two levels below the Big East (Division 1), but the guy gets results and is even doing it this year without Sydney Moss! He's either a great recruiter or a great practice and game coach (or a combination of both)! I think he has two D-3 NCAA Championships under his belt and his current team was undefeated at 19-0, winning most games by 30 or more points.

Brian Neal WAS the Thomas More coach before the current guy (Jeff Hans):

http://goxavier.com/coaches.aspx?rc=204&path=wbball
    Neal spent the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons as an assistant coach on the Xavier staff before being appointed head coach. Prior to Xavier, he was the head coach of Thomas More's women's program for seven years.

Neal posted a 171-31 (.847) overall record at Thomas More with six consecutive 20-win seasons and five consecutive Presidents' Athletic Conference (PAC) championships. Neal was a four-time recipient of the PAC Coach of the Year Award and was twice named the Great Lakes Region Coach of the Year.

The Saints made five straight NCAA Championship appearances during Neal's tenure. In 2010-11, Thomas More earned the school's first-ever No. 1 ranking and posted the program's second undefeated regular season in four years while advancing to the "Sweet 16" of the NCAA Division III Championship for the second time in three seasons. In March of 2011, he was named the Russell Athletics/Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Region Six Division III Coach of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by usfldan View Post
    Brian Neal WAS the Thomas More coach before the current guy (Jeff Hans):

http://goxavier.com/coaches.aspx?rc=204&path=wbball
    Yeah, we've been down that road already. I really have to wonder if X should have just cleaned house and started over again after Amy Waugh's departure.

Then I look at what Mike Neighbors has done at Washington. Makes me shake my head.
    Last edited by cinskyline; 01-28-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by cinskyline View Post
    Yeah, we've been down that road already. I really have to wonder if X should have just cleaned house and started over again after Amy Waugh's departure.

Then I look at what Mike Neighbors has done at Washington. Makes me shake my head.
    Waugh was also hired over Jonathan Tsipis, who was at the time at Notre Dame. All he did after being passed over was take GW from the cellar to the top of the A10, with a top-5 WNBA draft pick, national ranking, and back-to-back NCAA appearances in four years. He's now at Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerCecil View Post
    Waugh was also hired over Jonathan Tsipis, who was at the time at Notre Dame. All he did after being passed over was take GW from the cellar to the top of the A10, with a top-5 WNBA draft pick, national ranking, and back-to-back NCAA appearances in four years. He's now at Wisconsin.
    Yep. I actually forgot about that. X misfired greatly on the Waugh hiring, and it has cost them dearly.

Well, with today's 18 point loss @ Georgetown, the team has now dropped 10 of the last 11 games.

While our talent isn't great, I think we should still be a lot better than we are. Especially given that there have been almost no injuries.

X should seriously consider a coaching change after the season. It's beyond embarrassing at this point.

I have a mini pack and I have seen this team blow games at the end in the same fashion. They freak out and throw the ball away, have really low basketball IQ. I don't think the talent level is quite there but now they are just getting blown out lately. Team plays with no sense of urgency and I wonder about chemistry. I am willing to give Neal another year but I would think he might be a short leash.
    Zip'em Up!

Women's team collapsing again

Like the men's team, the women apparently can't shoot FTs either. I happened to catch the end and OT against Villanova on TV. Make a couple of FTs and they win in regulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Freshman
    I haven't seen them play this year, but have watched the results. It seems like they were playing pretty well at the beginning of the year. Yes, the schedule was not difficult, but they did beat a Michigan team that (until this week) was ranked and is in third in the Big Ten, and they also beat Cincinnati, who's actually having a decent year. Things seem to have fallen apart the latter half of the season. I agree that Neal did not take over a good situation (to put it mildly), but this year hasn't been a step forward. Anybody know what kind of recruiting class is coming in?