Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    The biggest thing for me is how is kentucky and duke cheating without getting caught? Whatever system they both have must be extremely intricate and sophisticated. Its amazing.

Also, now that the NCAA has plausible evidence that Self knew and engaged in the payment of recruits, I'm sure that Kansas will only get a slap on the wrist.

There are 4 programs in college basketball that no matter what they do, will never get in much trouble...Kansas, UK, Duke and UNC. Just way too important to the cashflow of the NCAA.
    I'm not an expert because I really don't care about pro sports, much less the business side of pro sports, but I don't think any of Kentucky's players ever signed with ASM. That was who got raided. If CAA ever gets raided then they may be in trouble.

I also don't think the NCAA is going to do anything to anyone until the FBI is through. And, I guess that's an okay approach to take.

Most people don't seem to understand what Louisville TECHNICALLY got in trouble for. They used ineligible players. That's it. They had to vacate all the games and pay back all the money they made from the NCAA Tournament that involved them using ineligible players. Hers is the important part. The reason those players were ineligible was because Louisville's own compliance officer declared them ineligible. I think that had Louisville not done that, then they probably wouldn't have had to vacate anything. At least not yet. But it was their own internal actions that led to those players being declared ineligible retroactively, and thus them having to vacate any game that any of them appeared in. Kinda like criminal court. If you plead guilty, then you're going to be found guilty.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

If anybody ever investigated 'World Wide Wes" then Kentucky would be thrown off the face of the Earth.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    If anybody ever investigated 'World Wide Wes" then Kentucky would be thrown off the face of the Earth.
    Maybe. I think the issue with him is that while he doesn't have any real regard for the NCAA, the players that work with him actually like him, and there aren't an abundance of examples about he or anyone else with CAA (I think that's who he's still associated with) ended up ruining people's careers and stealing their money while he was "managing" it and "advising" them. So the FBI is probably less likely to bother them.

Just curious...

Would you (or anyone else) recognize Worldwide Wes if you saw him??

Everyone has seen him. He's everywhere. The nickname suits him very well. Very few people realize it's him when they do see him. It's actually kind of funny. I've had a few experiences where I've been out at a bar, or at someone's house, or wherever, and overheard people talking about WWW. Then there is Wes. On TV. Sitting right there. And, it's obvious that the people talking about him didn't even realize it was him.

That's a rather remarkable superpower he's got to be considered that infamous, and be seemingly everywhere, but yet somehow always be unnoticed.
    Last edited by xubrew; 10-17-2018 at 11:16 AM.

You could make some distinctions with some of these situations.
    In the Penn State deal, criminal laws were broken by the assistant coach's actions, and the justice system would handle it.

In the current case, I saw where the jury is deliberating on the shoe companies deals with families/players/coaches.
    The defense has admitted it broke NCAA rules but no criminal laws.

If they are successful, are found not guilty of a "crime," will their admittance of breaking NCAA rules actually get them any NCAA penalties?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

No matter what the jury decides, it’s just the beginning. Expect appeals to take possibly years to be extinguished.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    No matter what the jury decides, it’s just the beginning. Expect appeals to take possibly years to be extinguished.
    If the result is not guilty as to these three defendants, I believe that's it for them. There aren't any appeals for that outcome.

The whole case seems kind of nutty to me, but sometimes nutty wins out in court.

The federal government's case is that these guys committed wire fraud because they took actions that resulted in the players no longer being amateurs, and therefore defrauded the universities because the players at that point were basically useless due to NCAA rules. The 'wire fraud' comes in because I guess they used their cell phones.

That's......REALLY stretching it!! I don't like the guys that are on trial, but I'm not so sure they broke any laws, much less THAT law.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    If the result is not guilty as to these three defendants, I believe that's it for them. There aren't any appeals for that outcome.
    Sure there are....the feds lose and they can appeal to a higher court too. All they have to do is find a point of law to contend and a court sympathetic to their reasoning. Appeals happen all the time, and the feds don’t like losing on their own home court.

But this is all just speculation anyway, so I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

It may be possible for the government to appeal a civil case based on a "point of law" if the case doesn't go their way.

In a criminal trial, if the jury returns a "not guilty" verdict, there can not be an appeal by the government (double jeopardy).

(one strange situation is I think if the jury says "guilty"...and the judge overrules them on his own accord...it may be possible for the govnt to appeal. But no appeal is allowed on a "not guilty" jury verdict.)