Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    How could he have handled it differently?
    He sat almost the entire second half if I recall. I think he went in for one rotation early and that was it. I think he could have had a very direct conversation with him and made his point very clear. Put him back in when we really needed some scoring in the 2nd half. If he didn't respond then immediately pull him. You can dissect this a bunch of different ways.........but my opinion is you don't bench your best pure shooter and scorer in a game when you really, really need him that early in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    He sat almost the entire second half if I recall. I think he went in for one rotation early and that was it. I think he could have had a very direct conversation with him and made his point very clear. Put him back in when we really needed some scoring in the 2nd half. If he didn't respond then immediately pull him. You can dissect this a bunch of different ways.........but my opinion is you don't bench your best pure shooter and scorer in a game when you really, really need him that early in the season.
    Fair enough, I respect your opinion. But....

Actually he went in 1/3rd. the way through the 2nd half, scored a bucket at the 13:45 mark, then gave up some baskets and rebounds to Bradley players. Was pulled and never went back in. Remember X did end winning the game, so taking him out after that did not result in a loss. However, it could also be pointed out that he led the team in scoring in the 3rd game and I didn’t hear Steele complaining about his defense or effort after the Toledo game. The benching may well turn out in the long run to be the best thing that could have possibly happened at that time.