Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    This is a job for Go.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    I have no insight into what is going on at Wichita State. The program seems to be a regular participant in March Madness and I thought their coach was well respected. Yet, I read in an earlier post on this board, that something like 7-8 players are looking to transfer. If true that means something is rotten in Wichita. Does anyone have some explanation? If it is just that players don't like the coach, he has been the coach for awhile and one would think that word would have gotten out and players would have transferred out in prior years and current recruits would have committed elsewhere. So, what gives?
    They had 7 guys transfer, lost one to graduation and another guy declared for the draft, but will probably be back. So they basically are losing 6 of their top 8 guys, and maybe 7. I have heard one more player might transfer. They also lost a recruit who decomitted and at the time he was the only one committed for 2020. Last week they received 4 commitments from guys that basically are very low rated or not rated at all and didn’t have many of other offers and a UCONN transfer that wasn’t going to play for UCONN. They are basically like a team who just got hit with a major scandal, yet they didn’t. Next year they will have a very rough year. Have no idea what happened other than to say the players just didn’t like the coaches shit or at least that’s what I see reading between the lines.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    He didn’t leave because of playing time. He knew what was coming and could have played 40 minutes a game next year at Wichita State. He left because he just didn’t like his coach.
    Are you sure about that.

Their coach specifically mentioned players not having enough playing time was upsetting them (see below) and I know at least a few of the players specifically stated “a lack of playing time” as at least part of the reason they left. I realize there were other alleged issues as well (e.g. players not agreeing with the coach’s method of doing things).

It may be that Burton was one of the players who simply left because he didn’t like Marshall’s way of coaching and doesn’t care as much about the minutes like some of the others.

“Of course you don’t want to see that many guys leave at once, but you also don’t want to see that many guys stay that are unhappy with their role,” Marshall said. “You’re saying those guys played 24 minutes a game, but what I’m telling you is that’s not enough. They weren’t pleased with that. My job is to try to win and their job is to try to play as much as they can.”

“I didn’t do a very good job of managing the personalities. We basically had 13 starters. We had a lot of really, really good players. But you can’t play that many, so no one was happy.”
    Last edited by IM4X; 04-08-2020 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Are you sure about that.

Their coach specifically mentioned players not having enough playing time was upsetting them (see below) and I know at least a few of the players specifically stated “a lack of playing time” as at least part of the reason they left. I realize there were other alleged issues as well (e.g. players not agreeing with the coach’s method of doing things).

It may be that Burton was one of the players who simply left because he didn’t like Marshall’s way of coaching and doesn’t care as much about the minutes like some of the others.

“Of course you don’t want to see that many guys leave at once, but you also don’t want to see that many guys stay that are unhappy with their role,” Marshall said. “You’re saying those guys played 24 minutes a game, but what I’m telling you is that’s not enough. They weren’t pleased with that. My job is to try to win and their job is to try to play as much as they can.”

“I didn’t do a very good job of managing the personalities. We basically had 13 starters. We had a lot of really, really good players. But you can’t play that many, so no one was happy.”
    The coach is full of crap. You don’t have 7 guys transfer out because of minutes when you also don’t have other guys coming in to take your minutes. After the first two guys left, the other guys would have played a ton. They had a freshman who played 25 minutes a game leave, another sophomore starter who played 25 minutes leave and Burton who played 27 minutes leave. I can tell you those guys are not going to be playing much more than 25 minutes a game wherever they go. 25 to 30 minutes is still a lot. They were also losing a senior so playing time is a cop out by the coach. When you have a mass exodus it’s not about minutes. And he said they had 13 starters but basically played 8 guys, which is about the norm in college basketball.

Yup. He is now down to 4 teams.

It would be tremendous to land him, but then I remember part of the reason he left is that he felt he was not getting enough playing time- and he was already getting like 25 minutes a game. I guess it is always possible he could get more minutes since Scruggs will have graduated by the time he started playing.
    Makes no sense. Leaving because of how much PT you got LAST year? Half the team at Wichita State is transferring. He'd get a BOAT LOAD of PT next year. And then further, as a transfer, you get ZERO PT now. He left for other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    I am a firm believer that outside of rare exceptions (Reid Travis comes to mind) you shouldn't be looking for one year grad transfers to fill large roles. At least if you're trying to be good. A lot of these guys (especially those transferring up) recognize they can be strong role players while getting a taste of high major ball.
    Oh, I disagree with how to use Grad Transfers. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if some coach just took the approach of reloading almost his whole roster every year using ONLY Grad transfers. Just completely move away from traditional recruiting, and build a new team each year. Super fast pace and go 10 deep. There would be enough interested guys each year to want to be part of that.

And, if they get rid of the "sit out one year rule", this will FOR sure be adopted by a few coaches. Why waste time recruiting kids in HS? Just openly let everyone know that you are interested in building a new roster each year with proven, productive college transfers. It's Calipari on steroids.
    Last edited by MHettel; 04-09-2020 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Oh, I disagree with how to use Grad Transfers. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if some coach just took the approach of reloading almost his whole roster every year using ONLY Grad transfers. Just completely move away from traditional recruiting, and build a new team each year. Super fast pace and go 10 deep. There would be enough interested guys each year to want to be part of that.

And, if they get rid of the "sit out one year rule", this will FOR sure be adopted by a few coaches. Why waste time recruiting kids in HS? Just openly let everyone know that you are interested in building a new roster each year with proven, productive college transfers. It's Calipari on steroids.
    I agree. There is the question of the competition and the makeup of the team (and the level of coaching) pretty much the same thing with HS kids, ex.cept they have, at least played at a level well above HS (except maybe LaSalle). Overall, you do have a better idea of what you are getting and the maturity, work ethic, leadership qualities should not be underrated.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Oh yeah. And Calipari on steroids would not be a pretty sight. At least that's what she said.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Makes no sense. Leaving because of how much PT you got LAST year? Half the team at Wichita State is transferring. He'd get a BOAT LOAD of PT next year. And then further, as a transfer, you get ZERO PT now. He left for other reasons.
    Like I responded in another post, it may be that Burton is leaving for reasons other than (or in addition to) the issue with minutes. I agree that it seems likely that he was not on the same page with the coach, when you look at his more recent comments he made about having more time now to find the right fit now. I know playing less minutes was at least part of the reason some of the other players left because even they had stated it. I don’t know that is the case with Burton. It might be his teammate (who also is considering X) that I read about saying the “lack of minutes” was an issue. It does seem likely that Burton would have remained a starter and easily played 30+ minutes if he stayed at WSU.
    Last edited by IM4X; 04-09-2020 at 12:53 PM.

Like I responded in another post, it may be that Burton is leaving for reasons other than (or in addition to) the issue with minutes. I agree that it seems likely that he was not on the same page with the coach, when you look at his more recent comments he made about having more time now to find the right fit now. I know playing less minutes was at least part of the reason some of the other players left because even they had stated it. I don’t know that is the case with Burton. It might be his teammate (who also is considering X) that I read about saying the “lack of minutes” was an issue. It does seem likely that Burton would have remained a starter and easily played 30+ minutes if he stayed at WSU.
    I don’t think the other players left either due to minutes, well not exactly. What most have said is they were tired of the one mistake rule where If you make a mistake, you were coming out. They said it was a confidence killer and they were tired of looking over their shoulder and playing tentatively. And yes that would also reduce minutes some but I can’t find one of their transfers that said they were leaving because they wanted more minutes.