Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    I think you guys are underselling the Maui Tournament. In most exempt tournaments, you typically get 1 high major, and it's not always a marquee game. The Maui will guarantee 3 marquee, high-major games on top of Wisconsin, UC, and Missouri. The schedule will be plenty tough.
    It will? They aren't guaranteed to play one of Gonzaga/Arizona/Duke, right? I'd be surprised if they are matched with any of them to start the tournament. IF X doesn't win the first game, it isn't out of the question they don't play any of those teams. As I said earlier, the schedule is set up for Travis to succeed and I don't think thats a bad idea.

Auburn is a marquee game if we play them this year. Moreso than Arizona.

Junior
    Fair point, my main point was I don't love relying on any early season tournament to provide the big match ups the schedule needs. Never know how it will break. It is a lot better to get these high marque games on the schedule instead of relying on the tournaments. I would be curious to see how many elite 8 teams Xavier has played pre-tournament outside of Nova since joining the Big East.

Even if we play San Diego State, Illinois, and Iowa State in Maui, there's probably 2 quad 1 games in there and no quad 3 or 4. I wonder if they'll match up the teams playing a common 4th opponent/geographically. That would put us with Illinois first round likely playing Duke/Auburn next round.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Auburn is a marquee game if we play them this year. Moreso than Arizona.
    There's a high chance all four of Auburn's guy's that declared for the draft come back, so yeah that'd be something to keep an eye on. But even then we're going to play AT LEAST one pretty good team in Maui, win or lose. I'm just hoping we don't come back from Maui 0-3, though our early season tournaments have been going a bit better as of late (barring the Arizona State loss, which they just shot lights out), so I could see us going 2-1/1-2 for sure, and who knows Duke will be young and might not be gelled by then, that would be a fun match-up for me, just to see where we stand against a team that can recruit 3 out of the top 10 players nationally.

I hate Duke. Except maybe when they play Louisville this year....then I might be conflicted.....maybe.....
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    I hate Duke. Except maybe when they play Louisville this year....then I might be conflicted.....maybe.....
    Haha I don't think anybody here really loves em, but you gotta respect the status of a program like that, and what it would mean to win a game like that. It's a good litmus test, really show's how much we've grown just to get to Maui, but to be competitive in it?? Now that would be something great.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Haha I don't think anybody here really loves em, but you gotta respect the status of a program like that, and what it would mean to win a game like that. It's a good litmus test, really show's how much we've grown just to get to Maui, but to be competitive in it?? Now that would be something great.
    St. John's really took the luster off of beating Duke for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    St. John's really took the luster off of beating Duke for me.
    Did St. John's also take the luster off of winning at Villanova for you?

i will be in Maui this year. I honestly don't care who we play. They are all good teams.

xu95