Page 272 of 763 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282322372 ... LastLast
Results 2,711 to 2,720 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

I’ve have a question. I haven’t heard any reports on how Covid has hit third world countries. I would think they would be the hardest hit because of poor sanitation and lack of masks and social distancing. However, I haven’t heard any news stories or charitable requests to help these regions.

Are they being hit hard? I pulled up a map from the NY times and it shows 161 deaths for Haiti and 10 for Jamaica. Is this due to a lack of confirming Covid deaths or lack of Covid in these areas?

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leghorn View Post
    I’ve have a question. I haven’t heard any reports on how Covid has hit third world countries. I would think they would be the hardest hit because of poor sanitation and lack of masks and social distancing. However, I haven’t heard any news stories or charitable requests to help these regions.

Are they being hit hard? I pulled up a map from the NY times and it shows 161 deaths for Haiti and 10 for Jamaica. Is this due to a lack of confirming Covid deaths or lack of Covid in these areas?
    Check out this site for the data: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

If you’ve followed this thread you see a lot of the “challenges” with testing, test accuracy, how cases are counted, and how deaths are counted. How those countries test and count may be very different than we do in the US. I can’t say for sure though, and can only speculate as to why they look to be doing better.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Yeah it’s called life. This thing is here to stay so might as well get on with it. We will see about long term damage. I know several people who have had it and none of them had many issues with it and so far nothing since they got over it. Those that want to lock themselves in a room, enjoy.
    Here is a study released last week that should give you pause to say we will all mostly be fine if we don’t die. Cardiac damage in over 70% of people recovered from the infection. It’s not well understood how long this lasts and if it is truly permanent but it is strong enough data for me to say more cases is not a good thing.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/car..._oi_200057.pdf

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Here is a study released last week that should give you pause to say we will all mostly be fine if we don’t die. Cardiac damage in over 70% of people recovered from the infection. It’s not well understood how long this lasts and if it is truly permanent but it is strong enough data for me to say more cases is not a good thing.

I totally agree. This isn’t the flu. There are long term health effects we don’t truly know or understand yet about this virus.

Another example why people don't want to listen to politicians lecture them again and again.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/dc-ma...aign=dwtwitter

Lawmakers who attended the funeral of late Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) in Atlanta earlier this week are exempt from Washington, D.C.’s, self-quarantine restrictions, according to District Mayor Muriel Bowser’s office.
    Members of Congress are also exempt from Bowser’s recent edict mandating D.C. residents wear masks both in public indoor spaces and even outside if they “are likely to come into contact with another person, such as being within six feet of another person for more than a fleeting time[.]” Those who neglect to cover up expose themselves to the possibility of fines up to $1,000 per violation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post

That's definitely concerning. As stated we obviously don't know exactly how long the cardiac effects will persist, but 78% is a significant number. I was expecting it to be a study of severe cases, however it looks like only 33% of the cases required hospitalization. I continue to wonder if I had COVID back in February. I was extremely sick for about week (no cough though) and then since have developed an arrhythmia that has finally almost resolved itself. I keep meaning to get an antibody test.

My wife and I have all but made the decision to keep our kids out of school for the fall until we know more about this illness and how to treat it. We are lucky in that keeping the kids home is a pretty easy option for us since my wife does not work outside of the home and we have ample space to support school from home.
    Eat Donuts!

A professor of epidemiology at Yale advocates for the use the hydroxychloriquine.

As professor of epidemiology at Yale School of Public Health, I have authored over 300 peer-reviewed publications and currently hold senior positions on the editorial boards of several leading journals. I am usually accustomed to advocating for positions within the mainstream of medicine, so have been flummoxed to find that, in the midst of a crisis, I am fighting for a treatment that the data fully support but which, for reasons having nothing to do with a correct understanding of the science, has been pushed to the sidelines. As a result, tens of thousands of patients with COVID-19 are dying unnecessarily. Fortunately, the situation can be reversed easily and quickly.

I am referring, of course, to the medication hydroxychloroquine. When this inexpensive oral medication is given very early in the course of illness, before the virus has had time to multiply beyond control, it has shown to be highly effective, especially when given in combination with the antibiotics azithromycin or doxycycline and the nutritional supplement zinc.
    https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeati...pinion-1519535

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    I totally agree. This isn’t the flu. There are long term health effects we don’t truly know or understand yet about this virus.
    True but keep in mind not completely an unexpected cardiovascular consequence from this study because covid is a viral infection after all. However, immediate percentages were concerning.

There will always be some who will experience an exaggerated immune system response that inflames and weakens the heart muscle from many common viral illnesses. That goes for the common cold and flu.

While novel coronavirus cases have spiked across several parts of Europe, including Spain, France, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands, Sweden—where a countrywide lockdown was never issued—continues to report a downward trend in new cases and new deaths.

As of Sunday, the latest death rate in Sweden (deaths per 100,000 people) was reported to be 56.40. The figure is lower than that reported in the U.K. (69.60), Spain (60.88) and Italy (58.16), according to the latest report Sunday by Johns Hopkins University.
    Sweden's latest case-fatality ratio (portion of deaths compared to total cases) was reported to be 7.1 percent. The figure is more than half the percentage reported in the U.K. (15.1 percent), half that of Italy and Belgium (each reporting 14.2 percent) and nearly half that of France (13.4 percent), according to Johns Hopkins University.
    New cases in Sweden's Scandinavian neighbors (Denmark, Norway and Finland) have increased by as much as around three times the percentage drop in new cases seen in Sweden in the past two weeks, according to the WHO.

https://www.newsweek.com/sweden-covi...ckdown-1522306

Sweden, being a Nordic country with similar climate and density as it's neighbors, would I think be more appropriately compared to it's Nordic neighbors.
    So, if you click another link on that site, you get this:

According to Worldometer, a statistical site, Finland, Denmark and Norway combined have had a total of 1,182 deaths as a result of COVID-19. Sweden? More than 5,300, which most attribute to Sweden's decision not to shut down the economy while the other three countries did.
    But it's worse than that. Adjusted for population, Swedes have died seven times more often from coronavirus than Finns, Danes and Norwegians.
    https://www.newsweek.com/why-swedens...pinion-1514486

So, you did better than densely populated Great Britain. But look at how many lives you might have saved if you did what your Nordic neighbors did.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.