Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    IMHO, this team has enough talent and depth to compete for a BE title. It's Achilles heel is its basketball IQ and making poor decisions at times. Clean that up some, and you will have a really good chance at having a great year.
    As has been the case for some time, X continues to recruit great athletes with virtually no bball IQ. It's painful to watch. The defense is good, but it's only a matter of time before they are outsmarted by a decent shooting , bball saavy team.I was at the game last night. It was like watching a CYO game.

well yes.....I don't expect them to go undefeated, does anyone?

They will run into a hot shooting team somewhere down the line, but if they keep playing defense like they have shown themselves capable of doing, the chances of that happening often will be very slim. They may have 4 starters back, but beyond that almost everyone is new. it will take some time for this group to jell together completely, but I'm far more encouraged at this point then I was at anytime last year.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Kyky injured, carter coming back from injury, scruggs injured and still won by almost 20. I'll take it.

Missouri is going to be a real test...I expect x to win but think it will be a tight game whole way thru.
    If the pundits are to be believed, Missouri State (next Friday night) is the best team in Missouri. That may be the tougher test next week.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    As has been the case for some time, X continues to recruit great athletes with virtually no bball IQ. It's painful to watch. The defense is good, but it's only a matter of time before they are outsmarted by a decent shooting , bball saavy team.I was at the game last night. It was like watching a CYO game.
    The same can be said about 90% of top 40 teams. These are young adults, not paid professionals. Nobody will be playing in the NBA next year coming from X .

However, they are trying to be in sync with each other. SEVEN brand new players (5 are frosh who have very little ability to understand the quickness and speed nor defense).

Given all the intangibles, I am very happy with the advanced defense. Usually defense is the last thing teams do well. Kansas looked awful last night despite having elite talent.
    I know Xavier will peak in February. Barring more injuries, X hopefully can squeak by UC, Florida, and TCU. The BE will be extremely tough on every BE team.

Every college basketball team is struggling early except maybe UK.
    A healthy Carter with confidence and wind in his sails will make him the best rebounder on this team. LSU, Kansas, and 70 other "good" teams are holding back the stress and frustration of their basketball fanatics.
    Trust in Steele!

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    If the pundits are to be believed, Missouri State (next Friday night) is the best team in Missouri. That may be the tougher test next week.
    Agree!

People want to talk about lousy offense? Look no further than the OSU-UC game this past week. UGH. Neither team looked to have any idea what they were doing most of the time. UC is a donut team with a HUGE hole in the middle. Cumberland was reduced to heaving up 30 footers most of the time and none of the newcomers were much better. OSU found some offense down low only because of how ineffective the UC defense was in the post area.

Seems there are a lot of teams that are struggling offensively right now. But despite, their struggles X is still using defense to fuel its offense and that's something that will more than likely be the case all year long. Unlike in some past years, they don't have to rely on just great shooting to score points. They can actually create offense with their defense. When was the last time we said that about an X team? Miller?

Sophomore
    Missouri State lost their home opener to Little Rock. Perhaps the expectations are a bit inflated.
    “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” -Michael Jordan

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    well yes.....I don't expect them to go undefeated, does anyone?

They will run into a hot shooting team somewhere down the line, but if they keep playing defense like they have shown themselves capable of doing, the chances of that happening often will be very slim. They may have 4 starters back, but beyond that almost everyone is new. it will take some time for this group to jell together completely, but I'm far more encouraged at this point then I was at anytime last year.
    I don't think I saw quite as impressive a defensive performance, last night, as your earlier post indicated. I recall a few more uncontested attempts, than you, by Siena last night. But, Siena was better offensively than Jacksonville and so the X defense was more challenged than first game. Still, I agree with your overall assessment that our defense is better, as well as with the importance team defense needs to play in X's success this season. Remember Texas Tech's tournament run last year---it was fueled principally by great team defense.

Another poster stated he sees enough talent on this team to contest for B.E. championship. I cannot be quite so definitive not because I don't see talent on this team, but because I haven't seen much of what the rest of this conference has to offer. I expect our conference rivals have also improved and I'm looking forward to seeing how we fare in B.E. play.

We are going to need more from the P.G. position than we have so far seen. I'm not down on Q and I don't agree (as someone stated) that his play has been selfish.

X just needs better offensive leadership. Until Naji wound up with ball in his hands last night courtesy of a Siena turnover, then drove down inside and dumped off for a Freemantle dunk with .01 left in the first half, X had more turnovers than assists. Three or four of those turnovers came pretty early and we had the whole first half to catch up on our assists but did not until the end. Early in the season, yes, but we are going to need better flow on the offensive end---even if we play great defense. Better flow will be evidenced, I believe, by more assists.

Perhaps some of Naji's one on one play last night is reflective of that. On offense, I have seen a lot of swinging the ball to one side and then attempting to quickly reverse to the opposite side for an open shot. But, I haven't seen much penetration by the P.G. creating dish opportunities to the Bigs or passes back outside for more uncontested jumpers. I believe Q is capable of doing this; just do not recall seeing much of it. And, I'm not against Q shooting but we need to see him try to create more opportunities for teammates. On offense, that should be his primary responsibility. If others see it differently, please say so because, for me, that is a big concern on the offensive end.

But kudos overall. Bishop (despite a couple of bricks) played better and Freemantle (as promised by those that saw him play in high school) is the real deal. He has, it seems, a bright future ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    I don't think I saw quite as impressive a defensive performance, last night, as your earlier post indicated. I recall a few more uncontested attempts, than you, by Siena last night. But, Siena was better offensively than Jacksonville and so the X defense was more challenged than first game. Still, I agree with your overall assessment that our defense is better, as well as with the importance team defense needs to play in X's success this season. Remember Texas Tech's tournament run last year---it was fueled principally by great team defense.

Another poster stated he sees enough talent on this team to contest for B.E. championship. I cannot be quite so definitive not because I don't see talent on this team, but because I haven't seen much of what the rest of this conference has to offer. I expect our conference rivals have also improved and I'm looking forward to seeing how we fare in B.E. play.

We are going to need more from the P.G. position than we have so far seen. I'm not down on Q and I don't agree (as someone stated) that his play has been selfish.

X just needs better offensive leadership. Until Naji wound up with ball in his hands last night courtesy of a Siena turnover, then drove down inside and dumped off for a Freemantle dunk with .01 left in the first half, X had more turnovers than assists. Three or four of those turnovers came pretty early and we had the whole first half to catch up on our assists but did not until the end. Early in the season, yes, but we are going to need better flow on the offensive end---even if we play great defense. Better flow will be evidenced, I believe, by more assists.

Perhaps some of Naji's one on one play last night is reflective of that. On offense, I have seen a lot of swinging the ball to one side and then attempting to quickly reverse to the opposite side for an open shot. But, I haven't seen much penetration by the P.G. creating dish opportunities to the Bigs or passes back outside for more uncontested jumpers. I believe Q is capable of doing this; just do not recall seeing much of it. And, I'm not against Q shooting but we need to see him try to create more opportunities for teammates. On offense, that should be his primary responsibility. If others see it differently, please say so because, for me, that is a big concern on the offensive end.

But kudos overall. Bishop (despite a couple of bricks) played better and Freemantle (as promised by those that saw him play in high school) is the real deal. He has, it seems, a bright future ahead of him.
    Agree on the defense......it is more keep your man in front of you and don't give up easy shots.......not pressing and trapping to create turnovers and get a fast basket in transition.

I like the improvement on D, just not buying that it is going to translate into easier offense at this point.

Yes, we need Q to be a creator and distributor. When he is at his best is when he is getting to the bucket. Sienna did crowd the lane last night, so there is that....

I think most teams are going to crowd the paint against us... we need shooters in the worst way. Wilcher is going to look like Steph Curry in our eyes if we continue to see the bricklaying on display!