Page 257 of 2118 FirstFirst ... 1572072472552562572582592673073577571257 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,570 of 21174

Thread: Politics Thread

I'm with these flaming liberals when it comes to criminal justice issues. Criminal Justice Libbies

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I'm with these flaming liberals when it comes to criminal justice issues. Criminal Justice Libbies
    Overcriminalization: Has anyone who has shipped a lobster in the wrong container actually spent time in prison? This is likely a health and food safety issue which could potentially cause harm, maybe seriously. Tell someone who has been seriously harmed (or family member) that there should not be consequences, particularly if this is a repeated violation.

Due Process: The government must uphold the law. Duh! Tell that to sanctuary cities.

Second Chance: While I agree with this in general and should be examined, however, if an employer does not want to employ someone who has a criminal record, I don't think they should be forced to, and I don't think it should be illegal for them to ask.

Policy Practices: "Trust and Collaboration" - tell that to those who protect criminals and refuse to help police in their investigation into serious crimes and to those who oppose police, sometimes with force, and those who engage in criminal behavior in the name of justice, without impunity. I agree asset forfeiture needs to be reformed. I'm unclear on the whole "bad incentives" for "overuse" of "military equipment and tactics" bit. Police should not engage in activities outside of the bounds of legal and established procedure and training, and should be punished for it. I also agree with the last statement that police should be police and do what police are supposed to do. An argument can be made that much of what is proposed (without a lot of specifics) would actually make it more difficult for police to "focus resources on preventing and solving serious crime" as well as other crimes.

Sentencing: I agree with this very general statement. However, we have to consider situations such as repeat offenders, what other crimes a co-committed and the potential harm to others.

Overall, I do agree that there is a problem and it needs to be fixed. I'm just not sure how much what is said here seriously adds to the discussion. Admittedly, the discussion should be had and I suppose this is might serve as a starting place. It does makes a good point or two, but mostly unrealistic and raises more questions than potential solutions.
    Last edited by UCGRAD4X; 08-16-2018 at 08:24 AM.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Ban the box doesn't prevent you from asking about criminal records. It just delays the process until after the decision has been made to offer a job (subject to background check, etc.). Thus, those with criminal records aren't kicked out of the process automatically at the beginning and get their chance to make a positive impression before the discussion about the criminal record comes up.

The point is that 90% of people in jail are getting out some day. If we don't focus on making it better for them when they get out, it's going to continue to be a bad deal for all of us.

Further, we need less non-violent criminals in prison, and we need them to not be there for so long. We need to follow the lead of Texas, which has dramatically decreased its prison population. https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texa...umber-lock-ups
    Last edited by GoMuskies; 08-16-2018 at 09:16 AM.

My point had nothing to do with justice reform which is certainly something that needs to happen. My point is that there are bigger priorities right now that need addressing.

#1 should be shrinking the wealth gap by increasing the taxes on the rich. Then using those funds appropriately and not on massive defense spending. I think we lack focus in this country to really identify the problem and the fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Criminal justice reform yes.

Tax hikes no.

Generally my view on the wealth gap is "Who gives a fuck?". If the poor are 10% better off, but the ultra rich get 100% better off at the same time, that's a million times better than the poor treading water while the ultra rich go backwards. The best example we have of income equality these days is Venezuela. And fuck that.
    Last edited by GoMuskies; 08-16-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    My point had nothing to do with justice reform which is certainly something that needs to happen. My point is that there are bigger priorities right now that need addressing.

#1 should be shrinking the wealth gap by increasing the taxes on the rich. Then using those funds appropriately and not on massive defense spending. I think we lack focus in this country to really identify the problem and the fix.

Taxing the rich even more than they already are is pure crazy. They are doing enough and should not be "penalized" even more for being successful.

Let's instead take care of the real problem which is the immense amount of people living here for absolutely free and taking advantage of our systems.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post

"Let's make the poor wealthier by making the rich poorer". Classic liberal dogma that has no basis in reality. (See, for example, Venezuela).
    Last edited by XU 87; 08-16-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Criminal justice reform yes.

Tax hikes no.

Generally my view on the wealth gap is "Who gives a fuck?". If the poor are 10% better off, but the ultra rich get 100% better off at the same time, that's a million times better than the poor treading water while the ultra rich go backwards. The best example we have of income equality these days is Venezuela. And fuck that.
    The poor do

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    The poor do
    So do you think the poor would rather (a) their lot improve but at a slower rate than the rich, or (b) their lot stay steady but the rich become less well off?

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    So do you think the poor would rather (a) their lot improve but at a slower rate than the rich, or (b) their lot stay steady but the rich become less well off?
    Are those the only options? What about having the poor improve at a faster rate than the rich so that the wealth gap gets smaller and returns to a level more like much of our experience in the US over the last 100 years?
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)