Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Oh yeah. I said that was coming nearly a month ago. No real surprise to me. http://www.xavierhoops.com/showthrea...l=1#post507217

I'm fully supportive of a levy for the parks. Our parks are one of the great things about this city, and an investment in the parks is consistent with making our city more attractive to people who don't already live here, which is critical for growth.

If the TIGER grant is successful, the city won't need this levy to pass to build the Wasson Way, it will just take another couple years.

The city and the county having a parks levy on the ballot at the same time might be a problem. The timing is a bit unfortunate.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

They are playing both sides though. If they get the Tiger grant, they are going to expand the reach of the trail...AND use the levy (which is a perpetual levy by the way) to pay for the original construction. They won't admit that, but I've heard it from more than a few people involved with WW.

Plus I just have a basic problem with how this vote goes about. It's a levy on property owners, but a majority of Cincinnatians aren't homeowners. What does someone who rents care if they raise taxes on a homeowner? That's not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
    They are playing both sides though. If they get the Tiger grant, they are going to expand the reach of the trail...AND use the levy (which is a perpetual levy by the way) to pay for the original construction. They won't admit that, but I've heard it from more than a few people involved with WW.

Plus I just have a basic problem with how this vote goes about. It's a levy on property owners, but a majority of Cincinnatians aren't homeowners. What does someone who rents care if they raise taxes on a homeowner? That's not cool.
    The owner of the building raises the rent when taxes go up
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Nearly 2 years later, Wasson Way announces super exciting plans to have 0.6 miles (that's over 3,000 feet!) of path completed by the end of the year.

http://wassonway.org/map/

This will connect Tamarack (where?) and Madison. Having Withrow on this stretch does at least provide an access point with parking, though I'm not sure who will drive to use a 0.6 mile path.

Estimates thrown around last year were $2 million for this 3,168 foot stretch of asphalt and crushed gravel. (Yes, crushed gravel... see page two here: http://wassonway.org/wp-content/them...DesignDeck.pdf). This is one of the easiest stretches, with no street crossings and one short bridge. $631 per foot. Extrapolating that cost puts the remaining construction cost at $14 million without the Madison, Edwards, and Paxton crossings, the Erie underpass and the bridge over I-71 and the extensive bridge in Ault Park. I'm gonna say it's $40 million all-in before this 4.1 mile first stretch is done.

Phases 2-4 of the initial 4.1 miles are still unfunded. So far, we're at $14 million in acquisition and construction costs, no Tiger grant, primarily taxpayer funded. No clear way to finish the project. No timeline, no funding, no designs.

Where is the outrage?
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Kahns Krazy View Post
    Nearly 2 years later, Wasson Way announces super exciting plans to have 0.6 miles (that's over 3,000 feet!) of path completed by the end of the year.

This will connect Tamarack (where?) and Madison. Having Withrow on this stretch does at least provide an access point with parking, though I'm not sure who will drive to use a 0.6 mile path.

Estimates thrown around last year were $2 million for this 3,168 foot stretch of asphalt and crushed gravel. (Yes, crushed gravel... see page two here: http://wassonway.org/wp-content/them...DesignDeck.pdf). This is one of the easiest stretches, with no street crossings and one short bridge. $631 per foot. Extrapolating that cost puts the remaining construction cost at $14 million without the Madison, Edwards, and Paxton crossings, the Erie underpass and the bridge over I-71 and the extensive bridge in Ault Park. I'm gonna say it's $40 million all-in before this 4.1 mile first stretch is done.

Phases 2-4 of the initial 4.1 miles are still unfunded. So far, we're at $14 million in acquisition and construction costs, no Tiger grant, primarily taxpayer funded. No clear way to finish the project. No timeline, no funding, no designs.

Where is the outrage?
    The City of Cincinnati is the absolute worst. I can't think of one project they've oversaw and used taxpayers money that has finished on time, and within a reasonable percentage of the reported costs.

I thought the Wasson trail was located in an abandoned rail bed. Not true?

There is an ongoing effort to make trails, in and around Spartanburg. A piece of the plan was a 2 mile stretch, called the Mary Black Rail Trail.
    It was built on an abandoned rail bed. It costs $600,000; or $300,000 per mile.

Your costs seem a little out of line.

...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Where is the outrage?
    I've been an outspoken opponent of the Wasson Way for years. It's a silly and ridiculous waste of time and money. Get an exercise bike or a gym membership if you enjoy it so much.

More than 3 full years, and at least $16 million, I walked the 3,168 completed feet of the Wasson Way on Saturday. I saw zero people. I spent zero of the $10million of annual spend that Wasson Way users are project to spend. I was somewhat teasing 3 years ago, but now I sincerely question if this thing will get done in my lifetime.
    -Matt McCormick

More than 3 full years, and at least $16 million, I walked the 3,168 completed feet of the Wasson Way on Saturday. I saw zero people. I spent zero of the $10million of annual spend that Wasson Way users are project to spend. I was somewhat teasing 3 years ago, but now I sincerely question if this thing will get done in my lifetime.
    Peace and quiet is priceless!

OK, I’m not local and don’t know anything about Wasson Way. I will say we recently bought a place in Atlanta for our son (and a “tenant”) to rent back from us. It’s right on the Beltline, which is VERY cool. It’s a 22 mile pedestrian loop around the city to be completed over a 25 year period (about 10 years remaining). I feel very good about this investment. These things can be awesome and bring in great private investment, but they can also suck, I guess.

I apologize if you’re talking apples, and I’m talking goat cheese.

Supporting Member
    (Full Disclosure: I support the trail and I directly benefit from it as my neighborhood has direct access to it)

Once it is completed I think it will be really nice. However, right now it is really just a path to no where.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the hell is taking so long to pave a path?
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack