Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How do you defend the three?

I've been thinking about this. How does a team effectively defend against the three point shot?

In M2M defense you can run under the screen. In zone you must close out on the wings.

Why are we so terrible at this? Is it because the pack line defense closes driving lines? Which leaves open spaces for such shots?

I need some thoughts here.
    Award Winning Poster Since 2015

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Muskie View Post
    I've been thinking about this. How does a team effectively defend against the three point shot?

In M2M defense you can run under the screen. In zone you must close out on the wings.

Why are we so terrible at this? Is it because the pack line defense closes driving lines? Which leaves open spaces for such shots?

I need some thoughts here.
    I think the packline sags some to close off the driving lanes.

And if you go under a screen in man to man that opens up the three point shot, but if you go over it opens up the drive. I think that is why we hedge so much.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I think the packline sags some to close off the driving lanes.

And if you go under a screen in man to man that opens up the three point shot, but if you go over it opens up the drive. I think that is why we hedge so much.
    You mean "over" the screen right?

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    You mean "over" the screen right?
    We might be saying the same thing but have a different understanding of what over and under the screen means. To me if you go under a screen that means you are going behind the screener which you would want to do to if a guy wasnt a great shooter and you wanted to prevent him driving. TO go over a screen to me means going in front of the screener/fighting through it to prevent the guy with the ball from pulling up for three.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

How do you defend the three?

We might be saying the same thing but have a different understanding of what over and under the screen means. To me if you go under a screen that means you are going behind the screener which you would want to do to if a guy wasnt a great shooter and you wanted to prevent him driving. TO go over a screen to me means going in front of the screener/fighting through it to prevent the guy with the ball from pulling up for three.
    That's the correct terminology.

No we are on same the page. I must have read wrong, my bad.

But why are we so bad at it?

Ahh, there's the billion dollar question!

And I have no answer. And no billion dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post

Xavier has only allowed 32% last 4 so I guess thats promising.

No we are on same the page. I must have read wrong, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post

My belief is that because we hedge so much, other defenders- especially from the "off side"- have to sag in to guard the lane when we play a team with a primary ball screen offense. When we hedge, really good teams are able to pass and reverse the ball and that puts us in scramble mode. Because we are so "sagged" covering the paint, we can't get back out on the shooter. I have noticed that we have been doing much more switching on the ball screens lately. We certainly did it more in the Big East Tourney. The other alternative is more of a match-up zone which we apparently do not even have in our holster.

It is almost like our staff is convinced to take the chance that the opposition will miss the 3. Percentage wise, of course the three (NCAA average about 38%) is a lot lower than a 100% 2 point layup but it sure seems to hurt us comparatively more.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    My belief is that because we hedge so much, other defenders- especially from the "off side"- have to sag in to guard the lane when we play a team with a primary ball screen offense. When we hedge, really good teams are able to pass and reverse the ball and that puts us in scramble mode. Because we are so "sagged" covering the paint, we can't get back out on the shooter. I have noticed that we have been doing much more switching on the ball screens lately. We certainly did it more in the Big East Tourney. The other alternative is more of a match-up zone which we apparently do not even have in our holster.

It is almost like our staff is convinced to take the chance that the opposition will miss the 3. Percentage wise, of course the three (NCAA average about 38%) is a lot lower than a 100% 2 point layup but it sure seems to hurt us comparatively more.
    I think it's a combination of things but this is definitely in the mix. A lot of times our strategy seems to be to hope they miss wide open threes. I also think communication is an issue and younger guys getting lost/slacking at times is an issue. Also, Myles and Dee are on the small side and neither a great defender which factors into it as well.