Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

A look at Shaka Smart's Contract (with an eye towards Compensation for Chris Mack)

Link to details about Shaka's new contract.

"In addition to his base salary (which is about $450k) and supplemental income, the contract states Smart will receive $25,000 per year for university sponsored radio and television appearances.
    Smart can be required to speak at or attend events or functions sponsored by the university, the university development office and other affiliated organizations that benefit the university directly or indirectly.
    He will receive $25,000 annually for such appearances.
    Other potential compensation includes $6,500 for every VCU game broadcast nationally and $3,500 per game broadcast outside the VCU or Atlantic 10 package.
    Smart will receive $5,000 for a victory over a member of the ACC — four are on VCU’s schedule this season — and $2,000 for defeating Old Dominion.
    If the Rams miss the NCAA tournament but are selected for the NIT, Smart will receive $2,000. He can make as much as $31,000 if VCU wins the NIT.
    If the Rams win 20 or more games in a season, Smart receives a $20,000 bonus.
    There also are incentives for players’ academic performances. Smart receives $4,000 for each player who graduates by the summer of the completion of his athletic eligibility and $2,000 per player for any who graduate within one year of the completion of their eligibility."
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

One good thing about public records is it can stand to embarrass other parties. But this level of detail probably hurts VCU as a candidate for BE expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    One good thing about public records is it can stand to embarrass other parties. But this level of detail probably hurts VCU as a candidate for BE expansion.
    Why do you say that?

Because I think private institutions like to keep things private. If they can.

Do we really think that Mack's compensation doesn't exceed a million dollars per year? He may or may not need to be given a raise considering our new conference, but I can't believe that he doesn't clear 7 figures in compensation. He wouldn't be able to afford that house he's in if he doesn't make a whole truckload of money.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Because I think private institutions like to keep things private. If they can.
    Ah... I was focused just on the terms of the contract. Makes sense now that you explain it to me.

Im a little surprised there is a bonus for beating a specific team. That seems like it could drive some behavior that wouldn't be overall best for the school.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    Do we really think that Mack's compensation doesn't exceed a million dollars per year? He may or may not need to be given a raise considering our new conference, but I can't believe that he doesn't clear 7 figures in compensation. He wouldn't be able to afford that house he's in if he doesn't make a whole truckload of money.
    I can assure you that CMack's total current compensation does not exceed $900k. If he makes the NCAA Tournament, depending on the total net payout received by the University, he can get a bonus. There were outside "special considerations" to help with the house, but he didn't get it for free.

He is woefully underpaid as compared to other coaches with similar resumes. His assistants need to be paid more too.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I can assure you that CMack's total current compensation does not exceed $900k. If he makes the NCAA Tournament, depending on the total net payout received by the University, he can get a bonus. There were outside "special considerations" to help with the house, but he didn't get it for free.

He is woefully underpaid as compared to other coaches with similar resumes. His assistants need to be paid more too.
    Agreed. Mack and Co. need make more. Perhaps the new deal with Fox Sprots 1 will lend itself to funding the staff some more?
    If you think of me, I hope you think of me well and if you drink to me, don't drink cheap - Ken "Firehose" Akers (1/27/85 - 1/22/11)

There also are incentives for players’ academic performances. Smart receives $4,000 for each player who graduates by the summer of the completion of his athletic eligibility and $2,000 per player for any who graduate within one year of the completion of their eligibility."
    I really don't think this should be a part of any coach's contract. Two reasons. The coaches aren't the ones who go to class and do the work, and there are a lot of rules in place to restrict their involvement anyway, so why pay out a bonus for something that they're really not supposed to have direct involvement with?? They can't initiate contact with professors, for instance.

The idea of giving someone a bonus because someone else graduated seems silly. I bet the professors, tutors, and academic support staff don't get bonuses, and they shouldn't. The coach certainly shouldn't.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White