Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The future

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    I am concerned with Steele's coaching ability........not his ability to recruit. I would like to see some veteran experience on his staff.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but this was a common sentiment when Mack first started. Multiple people wanted him to have an "X's and O's" guy on the staff.

I actually think Steele knows his "X's and O's". He seems to have good game plans, as shown by the relatively large leads X keeps getting in most games. Getting everyone on the same page to effectively run his offense and defense seems to be the greater issue, particularly at the end of close games. This team seems to be panic and forget everything they have been taught when the game gets tight.

Bottom line- the teams lacks discipline at the end of games, which I think is both on the players and coaches. If we see this again next year, then I would start pointing much more to the coaches.
    Last edited by XU 87; 02-11-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Thank you for a great post. Spoiled brats some of us have become. I think it’s good for us to have a season like this. It’s not fun but we can enjoy the dance now without stress. Then we can dominate again starting next year or the year after for the next 20 years. I blame Mack . Screw you MACK!!!
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but this was a common sentiment when Mack first started. Multiple people wanted him to have an "X's and O's" guy on the staff.

I actually think Steele knows his "X's and O's". He seems to have good game plans, as shown by the relatively large leads X keeps getting in most games. Getting everyone on the same page to effectively run his offense and defense seems to be the greater issue, particularly at the end of close games. This team seems to be panic and forget everything they have been taught when the game gets tight.

Bottom line- the teams lacks discipline at the end of games, which I think is both on the players and coaches. If we see this again next year, then I would start pointing much more to the coaches.
    He comes with an initial plan, but doesn't know what to do when his opposing coach makes a good adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by XfansinKy View Post
    He comes with an initial plan, but doesn't know what to do when his opposing coach makes a good adjustment.
    What adjustments did Depaul make other than our guys making turnovers?

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    What adjustments did Depaul make other than our guys making turnovers?
    I'm referring to the spanking coach McDermott put on him. That was obvious even to me and idk shit.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post

remember next year, same returning 4 but expecting 5 frosh to bring collegiate leadership, defense and much better outside shooting is too much to ask. Steele is laying the foundation for a X team in 2021, 2022, 2023 to be consistently good. Too many roster weaknesses unless Marshall discovers he is Durant or Goodin becomes Jason Kidd.

Who will score inside every night next year?

I like the opening post.
    Tennessee is #1 and 3 years ago had a recruiting class fo lower to mid 150 hs kids. their 3rd best recruit is their leader and scorer.

Well, it seems we got know place to go but up. Then again I always cringe when I hear "It couldn't get any worse" so I'm absolutely not even going to mention it....ooops.

I'm firmly in the future is bright camp. Yes a lot of 'spoiled brat' frustration I will admit. Then again, I'm one of those spoiled brats who never picks Xavier to lose...which is why I'm no where to be seen in the pick the score stats (although this blind pig did happen to find a couple of acorns there.)

I like where they are headed and I honestly expect a pretty quick turn around. But I always expect them to win so I may not be the most reliable source.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Recruiting is half of the battle, but the team has to respect Coach Steele first, listen to him, and they showed that during the second half of the Providence game, but it's been missing the majority of the year, if he gains respect moving forward, we can salvage a decent season, obviously could need a miracle for an NCAA bid, but somehow getting to 18 wins after that 6 game skid would be remarkable in my eyes.

The recruits, they're gonna come, we're gonna get better by just sheer improvement in recruiting. If Steele can bring both aspects together, we'll continue to improve, and realistically get a chance at breaking down the barrier for the Final 4. Getting in with guys like Odom, Harvey, etc. will transcend the program. The on court product however has to be just as good.