Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

USMNT Fails To Qualify For The World Cup

First time since 1986, I wasn't even born then. To lose to this GOD AWFUL Trinidad & Tobago team is nothing short of an embarrassment. Sunil Gulati should be fired, Bruce Arena is outdated and not the man to lead the US. I can't believe we fired Klinsmann for this.

Oh darn

I'm still in shock. Gulati should've been out a long time ago. This failure goes all the way down to the youth systems in this country. Need complete overhaul. I want whoever has been running Iceland's program in charge please.

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    I'm still in shock. Gulati should've been out a long time ago. This failure goes all the way down to the youth systems in this country. Need complete overhaul. I want whoever has been running Iceland's program in charge please.
    The youth systems do not help obviously but a country our size should be able to qualify out of CONCACAF every damn time. Tonight we lost to a team from a country that has less people than the Greater Cincinnati area. It's pathetic.

Klinsman had to go.
    So did Gulati.
    And hiring Bruce was the lazy decision.

I hate to say I told you so, but I saw this coming. It's a sad day -- and next 2 years -- for soccer in America.

What is wrong with the youth systems in the United States? Just curious - I know next to nothing when it comes to soccer. Can someone explain?

Bad situation for US Soccer as it the sport continues to gain momentum.

It is interesting to read about this loss compared to losses in other sports. Often, you'd start off by issuing the praise of the victorious team and compliment their finding a way to win despite the long odds ... they were the better team today, etc etc. With USMNT, we're talking about the coaching, lack of team leadership, lack of youth development - not even the skill quality of the players.

Quote Originally Posted by XUOWNSUC View Post
    What is wrong with the youth systems in the United States? Just curious - I know next to nothing when it comes to soccer. Can someone explain?
    Just the way that it's a pay to play system. If you want to play at the highest youth levels it's going to cost you thousands a year. That immediately alienates the majority of kids in this country. As a result, the pool of talent is so drastically diminished that often half our team comes from players who have never even lived here. We've missed 3 of the last 4 Olympics and the last two. That's at the U23 level. The talent just isn't there, because so few kids get a chance to compete at higher levels.

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    Just the way that it's a pay to play system. If you want to play at the highest youth levels it's going to cost you thousands a year. That immediately alienates the majority of kids in this country. As a result, the pool of talent is so drastically diminished that often half our team comes from players who have never even lived here. We've missed 3 of the last 4 Olympics and the last two. That's at the U23 level. The talent just isn't there, because so few kids get a chance to compete at higher levels.
    How do you get around that? What do other countries do?

The problem the US faces, and has faced for some time, is that so many of the best young athletes in the country do not automatically become soccer players. Unlike in other countries where soccer is the #1 sport from a popularity and an economic (read players salaries) standpoint, it’s probsbly no better than #5 here. (Behind football. Baseball, basketball, and hockey). It has improved in these areas tremendously since I was playing in HS, but it still lags way behind most of the rest of the world. I don’t think that there is anyway to change this. But it is still hard to believe that the US struggles to compete with the much smaller countries in this hemisphere the way it does.