Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sophomore
    Can you summarize the article for those who do not have access to the content?

This was a good read, fascinating stuff.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    Here is an excerpt from the Adam Baum article:

"This guy went to Xavier.

And after he graduated in 1936, Phil Bucklew went on to become an American war hero with a military career that ran from the 1942 invasion of North Africa through Italy and France and China during World War II, to Korea and Vietnam.

He had scouted the beaches in Sicily and Normandy in advance of those invasions, collecting sand samples and evading German patrols. He had been in one of the lead boats on D-Day, responsible for landing troops on Omaha Beach. He then walked across China on a reconnaissance mission, and for his service, he was awarded two Navy Crosses and a Silver Star.

Today, Bucklew's known as the Father of Naval Special Warfare, a nod to his efforts for consolidating the Navy's special operations units, including the SEALs, under one umbrella and developing their training and problem-solving tactics.

He is not well known. He never expected to be. But Phil Bucklew did what he was supposed to do when he was supposed to do it, the way he was supposed to do it.

Not for himself, but for his country."
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_H._Bucklew

I’m sorry, I didn’t realize that was for subscribers only. The Wikipedia article isn’t as well written, but is very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    This was a good read, fascinating stuff.
    MY GOD! I am beaming I am so proud to be a Xavier graduate right now. What a story!
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post

I’m sorry, I didn’t realize that was for subscribers only. The Wikipedia article isn’t as well written, but is very informative.
    Man, even just reading his wiki was something pretty damn awesome. I may subscribe for a day and cancel just to read the article because I love long form articles of that type. Definitely is a true Xavier hero, what a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Man, even just reading his wiki was something pretty damn awesome. I may subscribe for a day and cancel just to read the article because I love long form articles of that type. Definitely is a true Xavier hero, what a guy.
    They have a sale where it's $10 for a year. Hard to say you wouldn't get a return on that

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post

Not a problem. Awesome to read. Thanks for sharing!

Kinda makes me wonder what I’ve done with my life……as I sit here in my comfy recliner……