Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    And then there is this....

per ESPN:
    Louisville has hired Milt Wagner, former Cardinals star and the grandfather of the No. 1 recruit in the country, as the program's director of player development.

Wagner will reportedly also be involved in an alumni relations role, according to Louisville's Rivals.com affiliate.

He is the grandfather of No. 1 rising senior D.J. Wagner, who is currently uncommitted but is the subject of an intense recruiting battle between Louisville and Kentucky. Kentucky coach John Calipari coached D.J. Wagner's father, DaJuan Wagner, at Memphis, while new Louisville coach Kenny Payne played with Milt Wagner on Louisville's 1986 national championship team.

Calipari also hired Milt Wagner at Memphis in 2000, which led to Wagner signing with the Tigers.

but for real, though. They hired Milt Wagner because he is the MOST qualified guy for that job.

Sophomore
    Y'all can justify however you want. But at the end of the day, I sleep sound. College athletics is a multi billion dollar business where the main revenue drivers are poor black men. Fighting for them to be paid fairly versus the status quo where a few white coaches and administrators are paid millions isn't a hard decision for me.

At least he played for Louisville and is a legend there (and was a teammate of the current coach). No, I don't think it makes it much better, but it's apparently the game now. Just funny that the exact same move that worked for Cal in 2000 is going to work against him now.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Y'all can justify however you want. But at the end of the day, I sleep sound. College athletics is a multi billion dollar business where the main revenue drivers are poor black men. Fighting for them to be paid fairly versus the status quo where a few white coaches and administrators are paid millions isn't a hard decision for me.
    Well, lets make sure we dont realize that a free education might be actually the BEST form of compensation you can provide the players.

A fraction will go pro in their respective sports. But ALL of them can take advantage of their education and notoriety.

Wait till we get to the point where these kids that aren't going pro will have to take a pay cut when they get their first REAL job. We will have done them a major disservice.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    At least he played for Louisville and is a legend there (and was a teammate of the current coach). No, I don't think it makes it much better, but it's apparently the game now. Just funny that the exact same move that worked for Cal in 2000 is going to work against him now.
    lets say D.J. Wagner picks Kentucky. What the over / under on the number of years that Milt stays at UofL?

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    It might be if you applied some critical thinking to it and fully vetted the potential outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    lets say D.J. Wagner picks Kentucky. What the over / under on the number of years that Milt stays at UofL?
    0.9. If he picks Louisville, 1.8.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Well, lets make sure we dont realize that a free education might be actually the BEST form of compensation you can provide the players.

A fraction will go pro in their respective sports. But ALL of them can take advantage of their education and notoriety.

Wait till we get to the point where these kids that aren't going pro will have to take a pay cut when they get their first REAL job. We will have done them a major disservice.
    Unless that education involved sham courses at UNC a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    No one had to take those courses, though. Anyone who actually valued their education could and would have avoided them. Terrible look for UNC, but also a pretty bad look for the kids who actually took the classes.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    oh yeah. that one example from 15 years ago.

I retract my statement. These guys dont need an education. They should just play ball and do the minimum schoolwork required for a few years while making some NIL scratch. They will all go pro and get NBA Max Contracts and prove that you dont need a degree.