Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I am gathering that this guy is a huge dickhead, but can someone please provide me with a quick synopsis of why? I'm just out of the loop on him.
    Google "Chris Mack", "Jim Crews" and "Evansville" and you should figure it out
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

He's a Bob Knight disciple, it sort of goes with the territory.

I tend to agree with MOR, Crews hasn't had much success as a head coach since the early 90s and there's no indication that he can recruit at any level now. His last head coaching job was at Army, which is a completely different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by danaandvictory View Post
    He's a Bob Knight disciple, it sort of goes with the territory.
    He's Bob Knight minus the coaching ability.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    He's Bob Knight minus the coaching ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    And the championships...
    ...and the plaid sport coats.

"All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    ...and the plaid sport coats.

We need more plaid sport coats.

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    Google "Chris Mack", "Jim Crews" and "Evansville" and you should figure it out
    OOOhhh! He's THAT guy!

Yeah. Schmuck.

Quote Originally Posted by kyxu View Post
    What about Dez?
    Although the two might practically seem the same, the NCAA is far more concerned with technicalities than practicalities, and technically the two are very different.

Essentially, what happened with Dez was along the lines of a school discontinuing a program. Dez never sought a transfer, and not only could he not return to the team, he could not return to the institution. All the NCAA cares about is that Dez broke no NCAA rules, and that it was impossible for him to return to the INSTITUTION, much less the team.

In the case of Drew, he merely lost his scholarship. He could still remain a student at SLU. For that matter, it was never demonstrated that he couldn't play on the team as a walk on. As far as the NCAA is concerned, it was Drew that sought the transfer, and his reason for seeking it is because he lost his scholarship.

Fair or not, that is not grounds for a waiver. It never has been as far as I know.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Although the two might practically seem the same, the NCAA is far more concerned with technicalities than practicalities, and technically the two are very different.

Essentially, what happened with Dez was along the lines of a school discontinuing a program. Dez never sought a transfer, and not only could he not return to the team, he could not return to the institution. All the NCAA cares about is that Dez broke no NCAA rules, and that it was impossible for him to return to the INSTITUTION, much less the team.

In the case of Drew, he merely lost his scholarship. He could still remain a student at SLU. For that matter, it was never demonstrated that he couldn't play on the team as a walk on. As far as the NCAA is concerned, it was Drew that sought the transfer, and his reason for seeking it is because he lost his scholarship.

Fair or not, that is not grounds for a waiver. It never has been as far as I know.
    Is there a bylaw in support of what you're saying, or is it totally discretionary? I'm asking because I don't know.

I do know that reason often does not play a role in such decisions rendered by the NCAA, so I could see where the NCAA would make him sit a year. And I understand Drew, unlike Wells, wasn't expelled. But one would think that having your scholarship taken away, especially at a private school, would amount to de facto expulsion. Pretty terrible.