Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mo Money, Mo Problems. Less Patience?

Within this past year, we all celebrated the life of Dr. Bill Daley. His insistence on hitching Xavier's star to men's basketball has led to a 30 ride that has been wonderful. I just received a letter from Gary Massa thanking my family for a donation we made and letting us know that Xavier is in the midst of raising $250 million for the school's endowment. Now, they are in no way X is going to make a dent in that effort with my piddly little donation, but the point is, they are trying to leverage off of Dr. Daley's efforts.

They question that crossed my mind today, is Xavier at a point where they cannot afford to be patient with Coach Steele for monetary reasons? In the midst of this gargantuan effort to seek and retain donations and pledges to reach an lofty endowment goal, does Xavier have the time to be patient?

This is a question that crossed my mind and if it did, I can't believe that it hasn't crossed Father Graham's and Gary Massa's mind. There isn't much room for error. Historically, once an institution loses donors, it is very tough to get them back. Also, if you're main product drawing card suffers for too long, then new donors become less interested.

I suppose we shall see.
    Pray the Rosary daily

We should have never hired Steele if we weren't going to give him at least 3 years. Mack left us in a tough spot and the Prez and AD should have known that.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    We should have never hired Steele if we weren't going to give him at least 3 years. Mack left us in a tough spot and the Prez and AD should have known that.
    He will certainly get three years. This year is a colossal waste, but he wasn’t left much. If we’re this bad next year, he’s definitely on the hot seat for year three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Sophomore
    isn't his wife's family like a mega-donor? I'm pretty sure they aren't too worried about what a bad year will do to donations. Next year won't be much better, but I hope it's a lot more encouraging. And we better be back in the tournament in 2021, no question.

Don’t know if they’re a mega donor, but they’re mega wealthy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Sophomore
    I believe Loyola Chicago got a 4 million bump after last year over and above the norm,, maybe more. As a Catholic School parent k-16 and an alumni I know how hard the money slog is ad every little bit helps

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    isn't his wife's family like a mega-donor? I'm pretty sure they aren't too worried about what a bad year will do to donations. Next year won't be much better, but I hope it's a lot more encouraging. And we better be back in the tournament in 2021, no question.
    2021?
    I'm not liking watching a whole other year of this crap, before getting to decent basketball.

I can tell you with certainty that nobody in the X administration has lost confidence in Travis Steele. He’s not getting the quick hook. Constant posts question whether the admin has lost confidence or that he was a bad hire doesn’t make either true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

X admin might start questioning how much faith people have in them. Just saying.

I have no dog in the fight either way. I am more, or less trying to get feelings on the topic. The thought crossed my mind because I received Gary's letter the same week that X was really struggling. I speak with folks in the development department with some degree of regularity and there's extreme pressure to raise this 1/4 billion dollars. The basketball program opens new doors and keeps money flowing from existing donors. Basketball isn't the only thing, but it is the most important ice breaker and door opener for the development department. What I do know is that those of us who watched putrid basketball in the Tay Baker years can probably take this current situation with a grain of salt. But those of you who have known nothing but winning basketball, may think differently. The Big East is not the MCC or A-10. It is important to be competitive every year. Just ask Georgetown and St. John's what happens when schools lose their way in a big time basketball conference. I have to say, I do wish the team had progressed more by now and responded better to Steele's message. The issue may be the players. it may be the message, it may be the messenger, or some combo of all. But, it definitely feels different. Again, just a different angle on they topic of a rough season.
    Pray the Rosary daily