Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jimmy Chitwood

All-Conference
    Welage has the green light. He's always had the green light.

But it's much easier to guard him knowing you don't have to guard Q and Naji on the perimeter. There's a reason why Q and Naji are always open from 3.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    It’s all up to coach of course, but Paul Scruggs is just a soph. He is still getting a feel for what kind of scorer he will become. I would like him to play more like Myles Powell. There’s a guy that forces a lot of 3’s, and misses a lot, but is still very effective because it’s a numbers game. Powell exudes confidence and determination ala Ponds/Howard/Diallo.....Paul needs more of that. He plays a bit timid at times IMO.
    Scruggs just isn't the same type of player as Myles Powell offensively and probably never will be. He's not anywhere near as good or confident a shooter yet. It could happen, but he's just not a gunner like Powell and I don't think it's wise to force him into that. Paul is more of a jalen brunson type of player in that he's very good in the post and an efficient scorer at all levels, but he's not a shot hunter like Powell or Trevon Bluiett.

Like you said though he's still feeling out what he will be offensively. His shooting is already greatly improved.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Not that I dont think Welage should get some more minutes with his shooting but to even put him in the same sentence as Korver and Dougie McBuckets is laughable. They were All Americans who not only were amazing shooters but could drive as well. And Korver is a much better defender than most people realize.
    You're telling me he's not as good as one of the greatest college players of all time and a 17 year NBA vet? Outrageous! Welly is clearly better than McBuckets

One of the biggest differences is that both of those guys, especially Korver, know how to get their shots off quickly. Welage's shot is extremely deliberate. He'll need to improve that to be more effective. Also, those guys were better ball-handlers, defenders, and rebounders than Welage by a significant margin based on what I've seen so far.

Sophomore
    That said, Welly's O/Drtg splits are pretty ridiculous
    131.3/108.6

131.3 is spectacular for a non-post player

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    You're telling me he's not as good as one of the greatest college players of all time and a 17 year NBA vet? Outrageous! Welly is clearly better than McBuckets

One of the biggest differences is that both of those guys, especially Korver, know how to get their shots off quickly. Welage's shot is extremely deliberate. He'll need to improve that to be more effective. Also, those guys were better ball-handlers, defenders, and rebounders than Welage by a significant margin based on what I've seen so far.
    Welage is a spot-up shooter. He will always be that. He's a taller Brad Redford.

He's never going to be the "get your own shot" guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    They get open....or when a defense collapses to stop a drive.
    Paging Q.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Sophomore
    I love Welage (and all our transfers) but you can't feed anyone anymore..the defenses are too sophisticated. Last year against Providence and Florida State we went to Kanter in key situations 3 consecutive times..he got the basket the first two times (and we held the lead) the third time a miss in the deep post due to double let to run outs for Providence and Florida state and turned the game. I remember both times they tied it after the miss(it would have helped if we made a stop after Kanter first two baskets but we didn't). Feed Welage in rhythm and get the 12-15 points. Good luck X my daughters will be at game and I will watch from Conn