Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If it doesn't go back to the campuses then I see it ending for a few years before it comes back to the campus..
    Section 201 Proud member of the Loudmouths. Our motto: Cheer often and cheer loud. And at times cheer long.

Crosstown Shootout: Dec 14

I don't see us dropping the Dayton, Miami, and UC local rivalry games all in the span of a few years. Nor do I think we should. Obviously it's a better series on campus but it's still better at US Bank than not at all.

The Crosstown Shootout was one of my favorite rivalries in sports, but I still maintain that they should cancel it for now rather than water it down to what it's become. It would suck, but I truly believe that after a couple years, both sides would remember what they were missing, pull their heads out of their asses, and realize how silly an overreaction they all had. Then they could all act like grownups and resume the rivalry at the home courts like they should. I'd certainly take that over the current format.

Quote Originally Posted by PMI View Post
    The Crosstown Shootout was one of my favorite rivalries in sports, but I still maintain that they should cancel it for now rather than water it down to what it's become. It would suck, but I truly believe that after a couple years, both sides would remember what they were missing, pull their heads out of their asses, and realize how silly an overreaction they all had. Then they could all act like grownups and resume the rivalry at the home courts like they should. I'd certainly take that over the current format.
    +1. The current format is worse than not playing at all. It may be worse than those lame, sparsely attended K-State games downtown.

I know two people that went to the game last year, which I realize is a pretty shitty sample size, but they both said they thought it was a cool set up.

With that in mind, did anyone reading this actually go, and if you did what did you think of it??

On TV, it looked like a watered down version of the Illinois vs Mizzou game, or the old IU vs Kentucky series. The students behind each basket seemed like a pretty cool touch. Then again, it was my last day of work before the holidays, so I was pretty drunk by the time the game started, and am perhaps not the best person to reference for it.

Having said all that, both schools plan on continuing the series, and continuing it at campus sites.....at least that's what I heard. I actually heard that from someone on the UC side of things, so take that for what it's worth.
    Last edited by xubrew; 05-10-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I went to the game last year. It was okay because normally that game would have been at uc and I wouldn't have gone. But this year it should be at Cintas but instead it is downtown again...now I don't like...when I was at X, 3 of the 4 games were downtown and I didn't mind it, but now I want it on the campuses.
    Section 201 Proud member of the Loudmouths. Our motto: Cheer often and cheer loud. And at times cheer long.

Sophomore
    I went. It was pretty meh. Fun to go to the Banks before the game. There was not enough Xavier fans and the place was far from capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
    I went. It was pretty meh. Fun to go to the Banks before the game. There was not enough Xavier fans and the place was far from capacity.
    That is precisely what UC wants. And we're being dumb by catering to them. We do not need this rivalry like we once did. I think we all want it to be like it was, but I say if it's going to be at the expense of having this setup, it's just not worth it. And I really believe that if we had the balls to tell them it's home and home or nothing, that the series, while canceled initially, would eventually resume the way it should. There has not been one single decent... nay... halfway respectable decision that has been made regarding this rivalry since the brawl, by either side. I think everyone needs to step back and look at this thing rationally instead of emotionally, and some time off might allow just that. It's a fucking basketball game. Stop treating it like a ticking time bomb and putting everyone involved in the figurative corner because of an unfortunate incident that is far behind us. It has absolutely no chance of returning to one of the top rivalries in the country in this format. None. This awful experiment didn't work, as expected. Move on.

Particularly given the outcome - I have to agree the pre/post gaming at the Banks may have been the best part.

Had to chuckle when the guy at Toby Keith's said about an hour after the game "Xavier may have lost the basketball game, but they are winning the post game drinking"

Friend of mine got me into the deal in the VIP room at Toby Keith's before the game. Anyway, as has been stated we also lost the attendance battle at the arena, badly. The $20 to park under the Banks still smarts as well.
    - David Bowers ('95)

Sophomore
    Your problem right there would be parking at the banks. There is plenty of event parking for 5-10 bucks or less downtown if you know where to look and don't mind walking a few blocks.